Business Manager and E.A. to Director-a 2 year Flexible working opportunity
Planning and Analysis Directorate
The Planning and Analysis Directorate (P&A) sits at the centre of DExEU’s work. We work closely with other government departments and DExEU directorates to generate and combine the best analysis and evidence across DExEU and Whitehall, to support the UK’s negotiations and preparations for Brexit.
The directorate has three principal analytical objectives: 1. to analyse the implications of exit options particularly on trade and mobility; 2. to lead, coordinate and challenge Whitehall’s analysis and evidence in support of Brexit negotiations and preparations; and, 3. to provide timely and insightful economic advice to Ministers and senior officials.
The role has two core elements:
1. Directorate Business Manager
The Business Manager will be responsible for managing Planning & Analysis’ corporate functions. The post holder will work alongside the Directorate’s senior team to manage the directorate’s business plan, headcount, workforce planning, recruitment processes, financial reporting and performance management processes amongst others The post holder will also lead coordination of the Directorate’s corporate plan, co-ordinating key strands across strategy, values, ways of working, diversity, L&D, line management and performance management; and leading working relationships with the various partners in the Corporate Centre. Responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining current overview of the Directorate’s headcount. Engaging with the recruitment champions and HRBP to help SMT form a strategic forward plan. Managing P&A recruitment campaigns, ensuring these are adequately targeted at technical specialists from across the analytical profession and encourage diversity and inclusivity. Contact for central GES recruitment team and for partner analytical departments. Working with these teams as well as and Chief Economist on all analytical profession Faststream rotations and vacancies.
- Engagement with all key strands of the corporate plan, helping corporate champions develop their priorities/aims and their actions against these. Keeping these on the agenda whilst identifying various touch points between the strands to form a more cohesive culture in P&A. Planning ahead to coordinate appropriate forums for updates on the corporate plan, including; weekly team stand-ups; team awaydays.
- This includes but not limited to; promoting L&D opportunities, supporting line manager capability, provide guidance on performance management process.
- Engagement with officials at all levels across the directorate to build strong working relationships and an understanding of wider pressures and priorities. As a result, the post holder will develop a good understanding of the whole directorate and individual responsibilities.
- Coordination of P&A responses to commissions relating to workforce planning and forecasting Maintaining accurate reporting systems that provide robust data to the Senior Management team and Corporate centre.
- Leadership of a Business Support Team, which provides admin support to the wider Directorate. The team consists of two B1/EOs, who are also PAs to the Deputy Directors, which you will line manage, ensuring that they have all the tools and training they need to do their job productively. It will also involve being responsible for their activities, proactively thinking of ways to improve the efficiency of the team and it’s processes, communicating this to the wider team in an appropriate manner.
2. Executive Assistant to Director, Planning & Analysis
As Executive Assistant to the Director, you will be responsible for ensuring the smooth running of their day-to-day activities, with responsibility for ensuring their time is used effectively to deliver their objectives and those of the wider team. You will be a key point of contact, liaising with a range of senior stakeholders from across the Civil Service, advising the Director as issues arise and you will be proactive as and when the multiple calls on their time have to be re-prioritised.
You’ll be organising meetings and using your judgement to ensure the Director is appropriately briefed and prepared in advance, and acting as a liaison with the Future Economic Partnership Senior Management team, across Whitehall economist colleagues, and senior stakeholders.
Responsibilities will include:
● Arranging meetings, phone calls and events with internal and external stakeholders, including travel arrangements, maintaining a strategic overview of the Director’s schedule;
● Monitoring of Director’s inbox, review all correspondence, prioritise and manage, including responding directly when appropriate;
● Commissioning briefing for all events in the Director’s diary, ensuring that it meets the required standard; for inclusion in their daily pack, ensuring they have the necessary information and paperwork they need each day;
● Handling all diary requests and invitations, using your judgement to prioritise and seeking guidance from the Director where necessary;
● Building and maintaining effective relationships, using good communication skills, with all grades (including senior stakeholders) across Planning & Analysis, DEXEU and wider government.
We are a flexible and disability confident employer