Group Financial Controller - Flexible Hours
5 days left
This is an exciting new role driven by an inter-generational transition within the family where the hours can be flexible for the right applicant. The successful candidate will be responsible for creating systems and group reporting from scratch to support the development and modernisation of this diverse collection of entities. The role will report directly to the Principal and the Board.
The Scott family own and build businesses and buildings for the long run. The successful candidate will join a vibrant and growing team who are passionate about their roles.
The Group consists of c. 14 entities including a partnership, several companies and trusts with exciting plans for future expansion. Activities span from a technical plastics fabrication business to let land and buildings and a progressive farm with a conservation bias in full view. The family seeks to deliver cutting edge integrated estate management and has a drive for team led continuous improvement.
The Estate is committed to long term responsible stewardship to help create a sustainable community in which employment is not solely dependent on agriculture or local economic conditions. The landscape in which the community sits should produce the maximum long run resilient yields of food and other crops whilst still being home to a diverse range of wildlife.
We value our team and encourage them to succeed and progress in whatever way is most suitable for them. We are a flat structure committed to effective decision making.
- Preparation of monthly consolidated group financial information
- Preparation of quarterly Board reports
- Development of KPI for individual entities and group
- Finance business partner to operational team
- Maintain books to trial balance stage for some entities
- Develop annual budgets for individual entities in conjunction with business unit managers
- Produce consolidated annual budget and cash flow
- Develop 10 year capital investment plan and cash flow in conjunction with business unit managers
Systems and controls
- Review current outsourced accounting arrangements and develop long term plan for the accounting function, systems and software for approval by the Board
- Develop and implement internal controls to ensure that the company complies with financial procedures and regulations
- Develop and maintain all necessary systems, policies and procedures to ensure effective and efficient financial management within the company
Project Finance and transactions
- Financial modelling and management of capital projects in conjunction with business unit managers
- Oversee preparation of statutory accounts including liaison and management of external accounts to ensure timely delivery
- Project management of strategic tax planning in conjunction with external advisors
- Project manage external advisors preparation of tax returns
- Submission of quarterly VAT returns
- Submission of PAYE returns
Compliance and risk management
- Develop and maintain risk register
- Lead development of IT systems to maximise efficiency and cost effectiveness in a cost effective manner
- Act as Company Secretary where required
- Lead the insurance programme
The successful candidate must have:
Qualified accountancy certification (preferable ACA)
Excellent and relevant post qualification experience (Property/Private Client/General business/SME)
Strong interpretation and analytical skills
Strong verbal and written communication skills with a range of people
Integrity and high level of discretion
Enjoy ensuring processes are implemented and used
A desire to work in a rural location and be part of a small team doing a wide range of interesting activities
The successful candidate may have:
Financial modelling skills
Experience of trust structures, related taxation and family business matters
Industry experience within property management; development; commercial farming or general business.
Hours: Normal office hours (8-5pm). Could be full time, part time or primarily term time depending on the candidate’s circumstances.
Benefits: Double matched pension contribution up to 10% employer’s contribution after year 1.
Holiday: 23 days per annum plus Statutory Bank Holidays pro-rata
Exposure to Board and strategic advisors while driving operational change