Strategy Officer-2 Roles -a 2 Year Flexible Working Opportunity
Corporate Strategy, Correspondence and FOI
The posts sit within the Corporate Strategy, Correspondence and FOI division of the department. This strategic and cross-cutting function supports the Permanent Secretary in the smooth and effective running of the department, and ensures its corporate functions are well integrated and aligned to its policy programme and teams.
We are recruiting roles in both the FOI and Strategy teams:
● The FOI Team is responsible for handling the Department’s responses to requests made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Environmental Information Regulations (EIRs). The team act as the Department’s FOI centre of excellence, providing advice and minimising the burden on business units to allow them to concentrate on dealing with the challenges of coordinating the UK’s exit from the EU.
● The Corporate Strategy team’s purpose is to support the Department in the fulfilment of its operational objectives, by ensuring alignment between the corporate and policy agendas, coordinating work across the organisation's corporate functions and strengthening the same, ensuring that governance, assurance, transparency and risk management / mitigation obligations are met.
Corporate Strategy, Correspondence and FOI
You will be working as part of a motivated and dedicated team of professionals providing a quality service to the Department in the Corporate Centre. These posts are challenging and require you to be organised, able to take prompt action and have the ability to take decisions to respond to changing priorities. Strong communication skills and good stakeholder management skills are essential.
You will contribute to continuous improvement of the team’s processes and make sure they are followed and remain fit for purpose, advising the senior leadership in the team of any risks or issues that could affect the workflow.
The FOI role will include;
● Managing the process of handling FOI requests in the Department ensuring timely compliance with the legislation,
● Developing and promoting full use of the Department’s case management system to enable an effective process and ensure accurate reporting,
● Conducting internal reviews of the Department’s responses, assessing whether the original response was correct,
● Investigating and producing written responses to complaints made to the Information Commissioner, and,
● Building and managing relationships with stakeholders, providing expert and consistent advice.
The Corporate Strategy role will include;
- The department’s business planning - Support resource reviews for the departmental board; answer queries on resource picture and pressures as needed, lead on the single departmental plan - including liaison with the Cabinet Office and directorates.
- Coordinate response to the Spending Reviews
- Conduct research and deliver responses on high priority cross-cutting issues that affect the department’s reputation.
● Other cross-cutting projects as they come up.
Other core parts of the role will include overseeing the department’s delivery of government transparency commitments.
Skills, experience and aptitude the ideal candidate will have for this role:
- Ability to prioritise and manage a complex and fluctuating workload.
- Experience of working across a department. Building networks and working across other teams and engaging senior officials.
● Project management
This is an excellent opportunity to develop project management skills and strategic thinking in a fast moving environment supporting high profile work in a varied role.
There are opportunities for limited remote working, as we work predominantly through online systems, though the successful candidate will work predominantly from our Whitehall office.
The roles entails opportunities for self-development, including those which will enable you to gain a wider understanding of the EU exit policy making process and the broader work being undertaken on this matter both at DExEU and across Government.
You may be required to carry out other tasks, at grade, but not explicitly mentioned above, as part of your role.
We are a flexible and disability confident employer