Head of Planning Strategy -2 Year Flexible Working Opportunity
POLICY AND DELIVERY COORDINATION DIRECTORATE
The Policy and Delivery Coordination Directorate leads DExEU’s work to coordinate the domestic policy implications of exit, across government departments, to seize the opportunities and ensure a smooth process of exit. We work with a wide range of stakeholders across DExEU and Whitehall departments
Our core responsibilities are to:
● Scrutinise policy and delivery planning to ensure that departments’ plans across Whitehall are robust and dependencies between plans and negotiations are identified and resolved.
● Support, monitor and catalyse implementation to ensure the government understands whether their plans are on track and propose solutions to resolve critical issues.
● Develop policy positions on cross-government policy priorities to resolve government wide issues.
HEAD OF PLANNING STRATEGY - PROJECT PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT
The Cross-Government Project Portfolio Management (x-Govt PPM) division is recruiting for a Head (Band A+) of its Planning Strategy team. This team is responsible for designing and continuously improving the portfolio management framework used to coordinate and oversee the whole EU Exit portfolio. Using the rich and complex data set this creates, the team delivers regular reports of the portfolio to inform the decisions and actions of the most senior stakeholders (political and official) across Whitehall.
As Head of Planning Strategy, you will seek to understand, monitor and scrutinise departmental plans and implementation timetables. You will ensure that plans are on track, identify interdependencies, critical milestones and delivery risks. Identifying and monitoring delivery timelines and policy outcomes, you will see that outcomes are well planned and effectively coordinated, and provide strategic insight into how preparedness can be improved. Crucially, you will provide senior stakeholders with clear written and verbal briefings and advice based on your analysis. Along the way, you will work closely with our analytical team, specialist planners, and policy advisers.
To be successful in this role, you will need to be strongly collaborative and possess exceptional analytical and organisation skills. You will have a track record of managing strategy projects and producing high quality papers and presentations. You should also be an assured user of structured analytical approaches, be able to handle a high volume of complexity and detail, and be comfortable working to exact deadlines. As this role will involve simultaneous ownership of a range of high profile outputs, you will need to be adept at managing a team and delivering effectively through others, while maintaining close oversight of their coherence and quality.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
● Rigorously interrogating programme plans to identify interdependencies, scheduling constraints, critical milestones, and delivery risks.
● Identifying and monitoring delivery timelines and policy decisions so that outcomes are well planned and effectively coordinated.
● Synthesising the results of the programme analysis into clear written and verbal briefing – including maintaining effective management dashboards and timelines.
● Working effectively both with our analytical team and specialist planners who are supporting this work, as well as building strong and close working relationships with policy advisers in DExEU who are working directly with departments to develop policy options.
● Providing high quality and authoritative advice to senior officials, Ministers and the Prime Minister ahead of key meetings with Cabinet colleagues and stakeholders.
● Frequently briefing Ministers in person and communicating complex policy issues clearly and concisely.
● Providing strong leadership to the x-Govt PPM team, directly supporting the PPM Deputy Director in delivering the team’s objectives and deputising for the PPM Deputy Director.
● Line managing, supporting and developing Band A/B2 Policy Advisers.
PDC is a collaborative, high-performing environment and the directorate’s senior management team is committed to the coaching, learning and development of all staff. We will provide you with a supportive and innovative team, and the opportunity to make a really positive contribution to some intellectually challenging but rewarding, at the heart of the debate about the future of the UK. In return we ask for your commitment to seeing the job through.
Candidates will be expected to handle complexity and ambiguity. They will be expected to demonstrate the ability to deliver results quickly. They should be great team players and be willing to support others and work across matrix structures.
Please note that this post is reserved for British Nationals and will be subject to a minimum of Security Check (SC) clearance and may require the candidate to go through the Developed Vetting process.
We are a flexible and disability confident employer