We are looking for press officers to develop and deliver our strategies for effectively communicating with the public through the media.
You must have a finely-honed news sense, excellent judgement, strong political awareness and outstanding media skills gained from working in a government communications environment.
You will confidently provide Ministers and the department with proactive media handling advice on announcements, visits and speeches.
- Provide regular media handling advice on policy briefs to the Secretary of State, Ministers, senior officials and colleagues on sensitive, complex and high profile issues.
- Anticipate and spot breaking news stories and manage your team to issue swift, robust and appropriate responses at short notice and under pressure.
- Have personal impact in the full range of press office work from briefing journalists to advising ministers face to face.
- Use the full range of channels in promoting our priorities, maximising digital tools and evaluating your work so that you can gain insight to get the best possible results.
- Work with policy colleagues in a timely way to examine and define the policy issues which need to be supported.
- Build on past successes by taking into account the recommendations and lessons learned from previous campaigns.
- Review the processes which underpin the media engagement process and adapt these where necessary to reflect wider developments.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with Ministers, private offices, special advisers, senior officials, journalists, stakeholders and OGDs.
- Work effectively with the wider communications team, so that handling plans are joined up with communications strategies.
- Support the planning and executing the logistics of senior Government Ministers’ domestic and overseas visits, including detailed preparation of supporting communication activities.
- Advancing visits, always ensuring that the objectives of the visit are met and with an eye on the bigger media picture.
- Understand departmental and Ministerial briefs so you can communicate key messages clearly, accurately and creatively to media.
- Act as an ambassador for DExEU Comms - drive enthusiasm for effective engagement across DExEU
While this role is for two years, it comes with entry into the Government Communications Service — the professional body for people working in communication roles across government — and offers those who wish to pursue further roles in Government invaluable insight, expertise and connections to help their future career.
We are a flexible and disability confident employer.