Senior Policy Adviser-Transport Desk-A - 2 Year Flexible Working Opportunity
POLICY AND DELIVERY COORDINATION DIRECTORATE
The Policy and Delivery Coordination Directorate (PDC) leads DExEU’s work to coordinate the domestic policy implications of exit, across government departments, to seize the opportunities and ensure a smooth process of exit. We work with a wide range of stakeholders across DExEU and Whitehall departments
Our core responsibilities are to:
● Scrutinise policy and delivery planning to ensure that departments’ plans across Whitehall are robust and dependencies between plans and negotiations are identified and resolved.
● Support, monitor and catalyse implementation to ensure the government understands whether their plans are on track and propose solutions to resolve critical issues.
● Develop policy positions on cross-government policy priorities to resolve government wide issues.
SENIOR POLICY ADVISER [BAND A / GRADE 7] – TRANSPORT TEAM
The division that leads on the relationship with the Department for Transport (DfT) has a vacancy for a Senior Policy Adviser to lead on the delivery and coordination of the Department for Transport’s exit portfolio.
The role involves working in close collaboration with DfT alongside a number of delivery and negotiation facing teams in DExEU. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to help develop the team’s operating model for the next phase, ensuring effective close working with the cross-cutting borders programme whilst influencing policy design and impact in areas such as roads, aviation, rail, and maritime. You will directly lead a small team supported by two B2s alongside the opportunity to build insight and expertise in working flexibly across the division (which covers borders, customs, Northern Ireland alongside the HMRC and DfT desk teams).
The work is in line with PDC’s core responsibilities above, but with a particular focus on how we can ensure smooth delivery of the required preparations for transport modes affected by EU Exit as well as to maximize the policy opportunities.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work on transport policy and delivery at the heart of government, giving you a real insight into how government operates and the chance to make a really positive difference to people’s lives. We work in close collaboration, in addition to DfT, with the Cabinet Office and No 10.
Specific responsibilities are likely to include:
● Supporting DfT to plan and deliver their EU exit related work streams across transport modes such as aviation, roads, private motoring, rail, and maritime;
● Contributing to the overall management of the team by ensuring objectives are clear, policy and delivery work well scoped and delivered, and that strategic questions of importance for EU Exit are spotted, scoped and answered;
● Undertaking, and overseeing the team’s undertaking of significant policy, delivery and analysis reviews of key transport policy issues
● Short term problem solving with policy teams on urgent issues or having responsibility for and being 'the expert' on a specific policy area;
● Leading cross cutting strategic work streams, coordinating input from across DExEU and Whitehall;
● Representing the views of DExEU Ministers and SCS at cross-government and external meetings;
● Writing briefings for senior officials, Ministers and the Prime Minister ahead of key meetings with Cabinet colleagues and stakeholders;
● Briefing Ministers in person; and
● Management of 2 x Band B2 (equivalent to HEO/SEO grades).
PDC is a high tempo, high performing environment – the work is intellectually challenging but rewarding, at the heart of the debate about the future of the UK. The directorate’s senior leadership team is committed to the coaching, learning and development of all staff, and in return we ask for your commitment to seeing the job through.
Candidates will be expected to handle complexity and ambiguity. They will be expected to demonstrate the ability to deliver results quickly. They should be great team players and be willing to support others and work across matrix structures.
We are a flexible disability confident employer