Lead Technical Property Underwriter
Are you an expert in Commercial Property underwriting?
Do you want to continue your career in a broad role with flexible working arrangements?
We are looking for a Lead Technical Property Underwriter to support Aviva’s dreams for profitable growth in our Corporate and SME Markets. You will be integral to the Commercial Technical Underwriting (CTU) team and will take the lead on elements of portfolio performance and development of underwriting strategy. CTU is comprised of technical subject matter experts across all Commercial lines of business. The team is central and integral to many programmes and projects within Aviva and influences several other business areas.
With your excellent subject knowledge, you'll support your team by providing senior technical oversight, governance and advice for the Commercial Property account. Property related issues, policy coverages and wordings, product development and emerging trends and technology will all fall under your remit. You will also directly support and contribute to the expansion of our underwriting appetite and rapidly growing underwriting capability.
There is flexibility for the location of this role but there will be an element of travel, especially in and around London (at least 1-2 times per month).
What will you do in this role?
* Assess and interpret performance and claims trends across the CTU accounts
* Work with trading teams to optimise performance to deliver departmental financial targets
* Develop Commercial Property class underwriting philosophy, strategy, risk appetite and technical wordings and use them to drive improvement opportunities in areas such as wordings, processes, pricing and strategy
* Deliver research and development to further Aviva's technical understanding of current and emerging risks, opportunities and customers to drive technical strategy, support underwriting excellence and good customer outcomes
* Provide solutions for complex underwriting problems within authority and Aviva’s risk appetite
* Engage and influence the market and other external bodies
* Provide technical underwriting oversight, second level governance and case referral/conferral as required to Underwriters and in support of large/complex losses
* Ensure that treaty and case reinsurance arrangements are adequate to support underwriting strategy
* Support the simplification and rationalisation of products and associated underwriting processes
* Work to keep customers at the centre of decision-making and ensure that fair treatment of customers is embedded into all activities
Skills & Experience
If you have the following attributes, we would love to hear from you:
* FCII/ACII Chartered Insurer qualified
* Proven expertise in complex Commercial Property business
* Extensive underwriting/trading experience, having held a high level of underwriting authority
* Strong experience and skills in account and relationship management
* A deep understanding of the impact and requirements of relevant regulatory bodies and legislation on insurance contracts
* Knowledge of reinsurance and its applications
* Knowledge of financial issues relevant to an insurance company
* Ability to think and act long term both strategically and operationally
* Can work well in a team
What will you get for this role?
* A competitive annual salary depending on skills, experience and qualifications
* Generous defined contribution pension scheme
* Annual performance related bonus and pay review
* Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
* Up to 40% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family
* Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
We care about the wellbeing of our employees
How you feel at home, work and all aspects of your life are important to us. Our programme – ‘Be Healthy’, ‘Be Mindful’, ‘Be Secure’ and ‘Be Awesome’ supports your physical, mental, financial and social wellbeing.
Here are just a few highlights:
* You’ll be able to download Aviva Digital GP - a 24/7 personal GP service that enables you to get a video consultation with a GP and pharmacy service at the touch of a button
* We offer all UK employees subscriptions to Headspace for free
* We have subsidised 70% off the normal gym membership prices, meaning for a reduced monthly fee you will have access to a wide range of fitness venues
One of Aviva’s core values is Care More, and this is brought to life through the flexible ways we like to work. This may include working from home some of the time, or flexible work schedules to accommodate parent and carer responsibilities, further studies and hobbies.
Our diversity and inclusion policies and initiatives are shaping an environment where everyone feels welcome regardless of age, disability, race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, religion, culture, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, maternity or those with other caring responsibilities. Our approach helps to ensure that Aviva is a place which values difference and provides equal opportunities for all.
As a disability confident employer we guarantee to interview anyone with a disability, (As defined in The Equality Act 2010) whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post. (By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean that you must provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required, as well as meeting any of the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential). Please apply through the website and then email the contact listed in the advert to notify us that you meet the conditions for the guaranteed interview scheme.
We prefer all applications to be submitted online, however if you require an alternative method of applying please contact Megan Douglas in the Resourcing team on 0121 234 7665 or email@example.com.