Network Engineer - offering flexible-working options
2 days left
Our flexible working environment
We know that diversity of thinking, backgrounds and approaches leads to innovation and creates an atmosphere where everyone's contribution is valued. As well as wanting to create diverse teams, we also value diversity in the way our people approach their work.
Work/life balance is important to us at Cambridge Assessment and we offer our colleagues a range of flexible working options according to the needs of the business and the individual, so please let us know of any flexible working requirements when applying and we can see how we can support you.
Where are are based
We are based in the Triangle Building at the heart of the Shaftesbury Road site. We provide a beautiful, bright workspace in the heart of a bustling brand new complex. Situated just a 10 minute walk away from Cambridge Central station, 5 minutes from major bus routes for Cambridge city center and a 10 minute drive to the M11 for connections by road to surrounding areas.
A little bit more about us
Cambridge Assessment International Education prepares school students for life, helping them develop an informed curiosity and a lasting passion for learning. We are part of Cambridge Assessment, a department of the University of Cambridge. Our international qualifications are recognised by the world's best universities and employers, giving students a wide range of options in their education and career.
As a not-for-profit organisation, we devote our resources to delivering high-quality educational programmes that can unlock learners' potential. This is an excellent opportunity to join a market leader and be rewarded with valuable learning opportunities, a competitive salary and benefits.
What we offer
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a comprehensive package of benefits to help with your life both inside and outside of work:
- Generous contributory pension
- 28 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Annual performance related bonus and increases (discretionary)
- Enhanced maternity/paternity pay
- Childcare vouchers
- Employee discount and cash back scheme at 2,500 retailers
- Cycle scheme
- Season Ticket Loan
- Subsidised staff restaurants
- Support for professional qualifications
- Discounted access to the University of Cambridge Sport Centre, along with various other local gyms.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Network Engineer with a solid understanding of network switching and routing and real hands-on experience in a Cisco environment. This opportunity would suit someone who has been working at the junior level but is keen to broaden their knowledge and skills by working in a supportive team with a wealth of experience to share.
You will be a part of a valued group of network engineers based in Cambridge but in frequent contact with offshore colleagues in the Philippines to provide support and analysis on all technologies owned by the team. There are opportunities to gain valuable experience in all aspects of network engineering from supporting our new headquarters with thousands of End Users in the centre of Cambridge, to providing remote technical expertise to other offices supporting 5 million learners worldwide.
What you'll be doing
- Provide second/third line support for technologies that the team owns, including but not limited to areas such as routing, switching, load balancing, wireless networking, firewall security, (including VPNs), and authorisation access control.
- Manage and prepare for implementation projects in an operational and support environments including evaluation, feasibility, technical investigations, pilots and proof of concepts.
- Provide expert advice to help Line Management on technical capabilities of IT products within operational support environment, in order to assess the feasibility of proposed projects to determine appropriateness of IT solutions and to maintain alignment with the wider technical framework.
- Help ensure that best practice is applied and maintained in all aspects of Service and support
A little bit about you
- Educated to a degree level or equivalent real life experience (required)
- Cisco CCNA (required)
- ITIL v3 Foundation (desirable)
- Check Point CCSA (desirable)
- VMware Certified Professional - Network Virtualisation (desirable)
- Experience and working knowledge of networking technologies, particularly those offered by Cisco
- Working knowledge of wireless networking
- Working knowledge of firewall technologies
- Basic working knowledge of VMware
- Basic working knowledge of Linux
- Good understanding of Service Management processes
Your transferable skills
- A technologist who can motivate the team technically
- Sets a high performance standard
- Can evidence possession of corporate values of openness, innovation & improvement, collaboration and responsibility
- Can stay calm in high pressured situations
- Inspires confidence
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with good customer focus
- Ability to design applications with a strong End User focus
- Analytical and logical thinking process
- Ability to work in and integrate with an established team of skilled engineers
- Understanding of server load balancers is desirable