Senior Policy Adviser (Cross-Cutting Analysis) -opportunity to work flexibly -2 year contract
DOMESTIC POLICY AND IMPLEMENTATION DIRECTORATE (DPI)
The Domestic Policy and Implementation Directorate leads DExEU’s work to coordinate the domestic policy implications of exit, across government departments, to seize the opportunities and ensure a smooth process of exit. We work with a wide range of stakeholders across DExEU and Whitehall departments.
Our core responsibilities are to:
● Scrutinise policy and delivery planning to ensure that departments’ plans across Whitehall are robust and dependencies between plans and negotiations are identified and resolved.
● Support, monitor and catalyse implementation to ensure the government understands whether their plans are on track and propose solutions to resolve critical issues.
● Develop policy positions on cross-government policy priorities to resolve government wide issues.
The Portfolio Office has a Senior Policy Adviser (Band A) role for its cross-cutting strategy team. This team is responsible for collating, analysing and communicating the detailed project management information held by the wider Portfolio Office on the status of departmental plans for exiting the European Union.
SENIOR POLICY ADVISER (CROSS-CUTTING ANALYSIS)
As a Senior Policy Adviser, you will regularly brief senior officials and ministers, and collaborate closely with HM Treasury, No. 10, and Cabinet Office, as well as the rest of the Department for Exiting the European Union. You will lead on an extensive and varied portfolio of work, delivering challenging, cross-cutting projects and developing complex, high profile policy on a range of issues. You will provide senior stakeholders with clear written and verbal briefings and advice based on your analysis. Along the way, you will work closely with our analytical team, specialist planners, and policy leads.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Understanding departmental plans and implementation timetables, monitoring and analysing these to ensure they are on track and to understand how these plans can or will adapt in line with Government plans.
- Identifying and monitoring delivery timelines and policy decisions to support senior leaders to ensure well planned and effectively coordinated decision-making across Whitehall.
- Synthesising the results of the programme analysis into clear written and verbal briefing – including maintaining effective management dashboards and timelines.
- Working effectively both with our analytical team and PPM delivery partners who are supporting this work, as well as building strong and close working relationships with policy leads in DEXEU who are working directly with departments to develop policy options.
- Providing high quality and authoritative advice to senior officials and Ministers on a range of cross-cutting issues.
- Occasionally briefing Ministers in person and communicating complex policy issues clearly and confidently.
- Supporting the PPM leadership team in delivering the team’s objectives.
- Line managing, supporting and developing Band B team members.
We are looking for people with energy, enthusiasm, great analysis, policy, and communication skills, and a willingness to work on a range of complex and challenging projects. In return, we can provide a chance to learn how government works, a supportive and innovative team to work with, and the opportunity to make a really positive contribution to some high profile and significant work.
DPI is a high-tempo, high-performing environment – the work is intellectually challenging but rewarding, at the heart of the debate about the future of the UK. This role provides significant exposure to, and requires confidence with, Ministers and senior officials. The directorate’s senior leadership team is committed to the coaching, learning and development of all staff, and in return we ask for your commitment to seeing the job through.
Candidates will be expected to handle complexity and ambiguity. They will be expected to demonstrate the ability to deliver results quickly. They should be great team players and be willing to support others and work across matrix structures.
We are a flexible and disability confident employer.