Head of External Security and Head of Thematic and National Security
This is a 2 Year Flexible Working Opportunity
Future Security Partnership (FSP)
The Future Security Partnership (FSP) teams sit within the Security, Territories and Ongoing EU Business directorate (STO). Alongside security, the directorate represents the interests of the Crown Dependencies, Overseas Territories, and Gibraltar in the EU exit process. The Ongoing Business team manages UK-EU relationship obligations whilst the UK remains a member state and is preparing for the UK to become a third country to the EU.
The FSP teams in DExEU are responsible for leading and coordinating the FSP portfolio which is broadly split into three pillars:
- Internal Security - The EU law enforcement and criminal justice tools and measures that help both the UK and EU fight cross-border crime and terrorism.
- External Security - Foreign policy, UK participation in EU Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP) operations and missions, EU and UK cooperation on defence capability development, and international development. Thematic Security - The five priority areas are: Cyber Security, Health Security, Counter Terrorism, Asylum and Illegal Migration and Civil Protection.
These are demanding roles at the centre of policy making, requiring close collaboration with senior leaders across Whitehall and beyond. The successful candidates will be expected to drive policy development, ensuring their teams are focused on priority areas, spotting gaps, identifying interdependencies and managing risks. They will also be expected to create a positive and supportive team environment where others can flourish and develop. The posts require strong policy, planning, strategic thinking and relationship building skills, as well as strong leadership and the ability to deliver high-quality advice and briefing to senior officials and Ministers in a fast-moving environment.
STO is a supportive directorate, committed to inclusivity and enabling everyone to be their best, and to balance work and home. Given the unprecedented nature of our work, these jobs are stretching but DExEU has a strong development offer to support you.
We are looking for team players to support the development of our positive, supportive and inclusive working culture. Candidates should have a high degree of personal resilience, be comfortable with complexity and able to continue to drive progress even when faced with ambiguity and barriers to delivery. It will be critical to be able to work quickly and under pressure while remaining calm and focused. We are looking for someone enthusiastic and proactive, who can manage a range of issues, confident working with others and at delivering through uncertainty.
The roles may require occasional travel to Brussels and other European capitals to engage stakeholders on the UK’s vision, positions and plans.
Head of External Security Team
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Leading cross-Whitehall work on the external security strand of the FSP by developing robust policy positions on our relationship with the EU on foreign policy, defence and development;
- Testing the strategic linkages to the Future Economic Partnership, in particular for programme participation and trade sanctions;
- Ensuring that the design of the institutional EU-UK architecture delivers for external security and recognises the unique nature of foreign policy cooperation;
- Working closely with the wider FSP team to ensure that the approach to external security supports our wider objectives for the security partnership;
- Line managing two Band As and leading your team of 8 within DExEU and across the wider cross-Whitehall virtual team;
- Being part of the senior leadership team for STO, supporting the Deputy Director and Director to deliver their policy and corporate responsibilities.
Head of Thematic Security and National Security
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Leading cross-Whitehall work on the thematic security strand of the FSP by developing robust policy positions on our relationship with the EU on cyber security, health security, counter terrorism, asylum and illegal migration, and civil protection;
- Leading the preparation and delivery of our National Security negotiation objectives, including exemptions, data matters and engagement;
- Ensure ministerial clearance for negotiating positions, including contingency and fallback options and red lines.
- Ensure a coherent and joined up approach with cross cutting issues and other areas of negotiations.
- Plan, manage and chair the Thematic Security Security Working Group. Run the secretariat and ensure agendas and outputs are aligned with other Departmental working groups and senior boards. Support the secretariat for the National Security Directors Group.
- Effectively lead team and line-manage (at least) two band A (Grade 7) members of staff, ensuring they are supported and challenged. Act as countersigning officer for other team members, including one B2 (HEO/SEO) and one FastStreamer.
- Have regular work and development conversations throughout the team and promote opportunities to improve business performance and build staff potential.
We are a Flexible and Disability Confident Employer