Senior Counsel - offering flexible working opportunities
About the Team:
We are looking for a Senior Counsel to join our legal team of 7 , supporting our General Counsel, on a contract basis. This role can either be worked on a full time or part time basis depending on personal circumstances. We are proud to be a “Mumsnet Flexible” employer.
About the Role:
- Working with the Company Secretarial function to promote the efficient and compliant management of the business.
- Prepare, review and negotiate legal documentation including agency distribution and commercial contracts.
- Procure external legal advice as appropriate and assist the GC in the management of relationships with legal advisors including fee negotiation and cost containment.
General corporate matters
- Maintain corporate records and documents
- Monitor corporate regulations and legal developments that affect the business and recommend changes as necessary to the GC
- Monitor and review business activities to assure compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and corporate policies, in conjunction with the GC and Head of Compliance
- Represent the business in legal trade groups and associations to protect and promote corporate interests
- Provide legal advice on business strategies, including non-UK establishment, and acquisitions and disposals of business as and when required and depending on experience
- Advising on compliance with LSM and other Group protocols
- Support the effective record keeping practice of critical documents
- Provide legal advice to Human Resources representatives on matters involving employees
- Review marketing material, and press releases as required, prior to submission to the Home Office
- Identify and facilitate in-house training relating to relevant legal issues
Litigation and claims
- Represent the interests of the company in non-claim disputes, including the management and direction of outside counsel as necessary
- Represent the business interests in extra-contractual matters and coordinate responses and strategy with the Home Office
- Investigate and advise senior management in connection with regulatory, civil or criminal proceedings or allegations involving LSM to protect the interests of the enterprise
- Upon requests from Claims, provide counsel and assistance with claims issues
- Advise in trademark infringement and co-existence arrangements
- Assist management with any regulatory investigations or enforcement action
- Negotiate and draft contracts with outside vendors
- Assist business leaders negotiating and drafting distribution agreements and commission arrangements
Adherence to all relevant regulatory requirements forms part of your role, and the demonstration of behaviours as set out in the Conduct Risk Policy, as they relate to your role, is core to
- LSM's commitment to placing customers at the centre of our business and behaving with integrity.
- LSM expects you to understand your responsibilities relating to all regulatory and internal requirements, and to proactively demonstrate compliance with these requirements and behaviours at all times.
- These requirements include Solvency II, fair treatment of customers, Financial Crime, Data Protection, Conflicts of Interest, and Whistleblowing.
What the ideal candidate will have:
- Qualified UK Solicitor or Barrister with appropriate professional qualifications
- Legal experience in the London insurance market is preferable
- Superior organisational and management skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong analytical and negotiation skills
- Strong organisational and prioritisation skills
- Integrity and high ethical standards
- Demonstrate a strong business acumen and client service mentality
- The ability and willingness to challenge and probe
LSM reward individuals based on their performance, ability and attitude, no matter the focus or seniority of their role, with our competitive benefits package.
All LSM employees have access to flexi-benefits to suit their particular lifestyle needs, which include
- competitive basic salary,
- pension and bonus, 2
- 5 days’ holiday (with the option to buy or sell 5),
- generous contribution towards gym membership,
- private health and dental care and full health screening,
- good maternity and paternity leave options,
- full study support towards any relevant qualifications and flexibility to work remotely.
- On top of all of this we are based in the prestigious Walkie Talkie building and all employees have individual and guest access to the Sky Garden.
We know that each of us has a ‘unique perspective’, shaped by our different backgrounds, personalities, life experiences, beliefs and many other dimensions of difference. D&I embraces all of those dimensions which make each of us who we are; a combination of visible and invisible differences which guide our perspectives and approaches in life.
At LSM, we recognise and encourage the values of diversity, inclusion and collaboration and we know that working together to share our unique perspectives helps us make better decisions, deliver innovative solutions and pursue our goals.
We have an inclusive culture and leadership where all colleagues are empowered to be their unique selves and fully contribute to getting things done. And we are as committed to helping each other internally, as we are to helping our customers, communities and shareholders externally.
We currently celebrate a number of aspects of D&I and are expanding our strategic and tactical approaches to ensure that we celebrate many more in the coming months and years.