Actuarial Manager 12m FTC
Aviva are now looking to bring in an Actuarial Manager for a 12-month fixed-term contract. The position will be supporting our current Non-Profit Financial Management (NPFM) team as part of an ongoing project in the annuity business area.
Covering all non-profit business, the NPFM team is responsible for determining methodology and assumptions for financial reporting, reviewing financial reporting outputs and ensuring the risks with the business are accurately understood and managed.
This is a strong opportunity for an inquisitive mind to build their experience and understanding in these areas, getting an overview both of the reporting aspects and the broader financial management of it. There will be chances to get involved with the interpreting the impact of longevity on our annuity business. In addition, this role is very connected to the Bulk Annuity market and Aviva’s continued success here - you could be involved with understanding the nuances and the reports in this area.
The team operates in a flexible way, and responsibilities will reflect the skills/experience of the role holder and will grow and evolve over time.
Some of the aspects and responsibilities of this role:
- Reviewing and providing high-level understanding of and insights from financial reporting outputs, including capital requirements
- Building an understanding of the assets used to back the business and their interaction with the annuity liabilities
- Involvement in financial management initiatives and the continuing development of methodology
- Review the evidence, develop proposals and take through governance updates for selected assumptions
- Involvement in understanding and using results from asset models (commercial mortgages, equity release)
- Reviewing, challenging and proposing improvements to the methodology used by reporting team as necessary to improve management’s understanding of the business (with technical support to the Reporting team and other business partners)
- Contributing to development of IFRS17 methodology and management of reinsurance relationships on the relevant funds
Skills & experiences required:
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong understanding of all relevant financial reporting metrics (IFRS, Solvency II, new business metrics and older measures such as ICA)
- Past involvement with annuity business would be great to see, but not essential. More meaningful would be the desire and ability to understand the way measures move and interact, and the willingness to challenge the status quo
- The ability to liaise effectively with staff of varying seniority, explaining technical concepts clearly and understanding the wider business picture
- Actuarial qualifications or progressing towards this qualification
What will you get for this role?
- A competitive salary depending on location, skills, experience and qualifications
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days (Pro Rata)
- Up to 40% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family (some exclusions apply)
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
Working at Aviva
At Aviva, we’re people with a purpose. To be with you today, for a better tomorrow.
We bring this to life by ensuring managing risk is at the heart of the way we all work. We love people who do the right thing for our customers, and our colleagues. We want people who speak up, who take ownership, and who make good decisions.
The way we do this is important too. We always ‘Care More’. It’s our thing. We’re all about our people – that’s you – so we can be pretty flexible. If you want to work from home some of the time or change your hours so you can pick up your kids or care for someone in your family, we’re very open to that. In fact, we don’t advertise roles as either part or full time, because we know each person has different needs, just as each business area has different needs. So, it’s up to you to discuss working hours during your interview.
We care deeply about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We want our employees to bring their whole self to work and that starts with you.
We interview every disabled applicant* that meets the minimum criteria for the job. Just send us an email once you’ve applied stating that you have a disclosed disability, and we’ll make sure we interview you.
We’d love it if you could submit your application online. If you require an alternative method of applying, please give Daniel Hopchet a call on 0121 234 7625 or send an email to Daniel.Hopchet@Aviva.com.
*As defined in The Equality Act 2010*. By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean you should provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required and have the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential to perform the role.