House of Lords policy analysts provide high-quality research support and analysis for House of Lords select committees, which investigate and report on a wide range of public policy issues. While we are recruiting generalists, a broad knowledge of the European Union, its institutions and policies, may be an advantage. The post-holder will likely be part of a team of three; the other team members are the clerk (team leader) and the committee assistant.
The main objective of the role is to undertake research, analysis and drafting in support of the work of House of Lords committees.
The successful candidate will have the following skills/experience:
- Substantial knowledge and experience of public policy areas, and an ability to become proficient in new topics quickly.
- Excellent research and drafting skills, including the ability to assimilate and summarise large volumes of material, and to produce high-quality papers to tight deadlines.
- Strong oral communication skills, including the ability to represent a committee to a wide range of people and organisations.
- Good political judgement, including the ability to produce objective and balanced work unaffected by the post-holder’s political or other views.
- Experience of developing and maintaining a network of relevant contacts within the policy community.
- Familiarity with the wider UK public policy environment; Familiarity with the EU institutions and policy environment would be an advantage.
- Ability to work on own initiative, and as part of a team.
More information can be found in the job description.