Surge and Rapid Response Team Leader
At HMRC we're committed to getting tax right, for everyone.
We’re all doing our bit to make a difference, whether that’s helping customers pay their tax and claim financial support or making it hard for the dishonest minority to cheat the system.
We couldn’t do all this without our dedicated and very important workforce. We’re one of the largest organisations in the UK, and we pride ourselves on our diverse and inclusive working culture.
Are you looking for an exciting, innovative way to develop your career and learn new skills?
If so, HMRC’s award-winning Surge and Rapid Response Team (SRRT) are looking for positive, flexible and highly motivated Team Leaders. SRRT is an innovative and unique team, providing rapid and planned response to support the Civil Service in times of emergency, crisis or unusually high peaks in work. Based in HMRC, you and your team could be deployed locally or to other parts of the UK and in some circumstances deployed internationally to support in a vast array of government departments abroad.
Our work is varied in type, practice, and location – from working with the Home Office’s Border Force, to telephony work in the Department for Work and Pensions, to supporting UK citizens in the wake of major international incidents with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office – it’s safe to say boredom isn’t a word in the SRRT vocabulary.
We are offering the you an exciting opportunity to help shape the future of operations in the Civil Service as a Team Leader. You will join an innovative team working across central government departments and agencies, in a pioneering, challenging, fast paced and hugely rewarding role.
This job will:
- Give you the opportunity to use your leadership skills in a fast paced, high profile role.
- Give you exposure to a wide range of jobs across government, helping you build experience and networks to support your career.
- Allow you to have a positive effect on the lives of UK citizens, solving some of the most high-profile problems of the day.
As a Surge and Rapid Response Team Leader, you will report to the Higher Operations Leader to deliver operational performance across your area. This is a high-profile role with daily exposure to senior leaders across the Civil Service.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Leading a team of up to 10 graduates and apprentices, with responsibility for health and safety, equality and diversity, wellbeing and performance.
- Providing support to your team of apprentices throughout the duration of their apprenticeship journey and deployments.
- Supporting your manager in the delivery of staff placements to other government departments.
- Work with colleagues to identify resource for work items, assure quality, fairness and progress against plans.
- Ensuring risks and issues are identified and remedial action is taken.
- Promote and foster a continuous improvement ethos throughout the team.
- Maintain a culture that is committed to equal opportunities and challenge any behaviours that do not adhere to Civil Service standards.
This job will provide opportunities to work with a range of Government departments in different locations across the UK and abroad. In line with government guidelines regarding COVID-19, only essential travel will be required, and this will strictly follow safety measures outlined by the government. When working away from your home base your travel and accommodation will be paid for.
We operate a 5 out of 7 working pattern. This means you will be expected to work five out of seven days, covering various working patterns, usually 37 hours per week. Part-time working opportunities (minimum 25 hours per week covering various working patterns) may be considered but business need will dictate whether your request can be accommodated.
We will provide you with extensive development opportunities and skills that will assist in a successful career path through the Civil Service.
You will need to be able to demonstrate the following skills and qualities:
- Excellent communicator and leader with a high standard of customer service skills.
- Highly motivated and able to work and manage with minimum supervision.
- A positive attitude with the ability to solve problems.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, with the flexibility to move quickly between tasks.
HMRC are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.