Complex Tax & Evasion Investigator
At HMRC we're committed to getting tax right, for everyone.
We’re all doing our bit to make a difference, whether that’s helping customers pay their tax and claim financial support or making it hard for the dishonest minority to cheat the system.
We couldn’t do all this without our dedicated and very important workforce. We’re one of the largest organisations in the UK, and we pride ourselves on our diverse and inclusive working culture.
We’re looking for dynamic, enthusiastic individuals who have a passion for interesting, varied and challenging work.
As a Complex Tax & Evasion Investigator you will be responsible for leading and co-ordinating tax investigations into high-risk businesses. You will either work independently or lead a team of officers to review tax risks and business records. You will need to make justifiable decisions to raise assessments, seize goods, and/or issue substantial penalties where appropriate.
Full support and training will be provided to help you handle difficult situations with confidence.
You will work in partnership with colleagues across HMRC and other Government agencies to co-ordinate visits; ensuring that risks are identified and resolved, using the right skills at the right time to get the right results.
You will need to demonstrate attention to detail, record robust notes and produce audit trails to support your decisions. You may be required to act as a witness at a tribunal or in court.
These are not standard office or desk-based roles, so typically you will spend some of your time meeting with taxpayers and accountants face-to-face at their business premises. However, due to COVID-19 the appropriate measures will be put in place in line with government guidelines to ensure that your safety comes first.
This can sometimes be confrontational and challenging, so you will need to be confident in your ability, with training, to handle those difficult conversations on your own and away from your office. For some of our roles you could be spending up to 80% of your working time out of the office.
You will need to be personally flexible and will work a 5 over 7 day working pattern, working evenings, weekends and bank holidays when required to do so. Your role may also involve you travelling significant distances with the potential for regular overnight stays. You will need to be able and willing to drive HMRC vehicles when required to do so.
Some of your duties may require you to be comfortable in working safely in warehouses, ports and other premises (including being outside or in enclosed spaces). Please note that these activities could require you to stand or kneel for long periods of time.
What are we looking for?
- Confident in your ability to take the lead, as there will be times when you will be responsible for a team of officers carrying out investigations
- Professional, confident and adaptable communicators – equally effective in oral and written communication.
- Committed to delivering high quality public service and a strong sense of personal ethics and integrity
- Take pride in always delivering high standards and good customer service
- Independent and resilient, remain calm in the face of confrontation, able to handle difficult conversations and stand their ground when required
- Team player, able to work effectively with colleagues across HMRC and other government agencies.
- Critical thinker with an enquiring mind, enjoys data and information analysis, research and problem solving
- Adaptable decision maker able to switch from detailed research to making rapid on the spot pressurised decisions when required.
- Well organised; able to manage a complex workload effectively, deadline focussed, able to reprioritise as demands change.
- Eager to learn - you will need to learn and keep current the tax legislation and practical skills relevant to your role. This knowledge will help to inform your decision making on investigations and the education of taxpayers.
- Creative and committed to continuous improvement, in an environment where performance matters.