Higher Officer Compliance Caseworker
At HMRC we're committed to getting tax right, for everyone.
We’re all doing our bit to make a difference, whether that’s helping customers pay their tax and claim financial support or making it hard for the dishonest minority to cheat the system.
We couldn’t do all this without our dedicated and very important workforce. We’re one of the largest organisations in the UK, and we pride ourselves on our diverse and inclusive working culture.
Do you have an analytical mind and an interest in tackling tax evasion?
If this sounds like you, then you could be a great Compliance Caseworker here at HMRC. This will be a desk-based Compliance Caseworker job in the Campaigns and Projects (C&P) team. There are 3000 people currently in C&P, and this figure is growing fast.
What will I be doing?
As a Higher Officer (HO) Compliance Caseworker, you will be at the forefront of delivering a high volume of cases, under a variety of different targeted compliance projects. Over time, you will build on your skills and knowledge across a wide range of taxes and risks.
You will be dealing with non-compliance through customer interaction using letters, email, web chat and phone calls. Tasks include challenging customers in telephone interviews, identifying compliance risks and performing any intervention activity required.
You will act as an escalation point to authorise and check assessments, sign off penalties and resolve technical queries from more junior Compliance Caseworkers. In addition you will carry out process and assurance checks to ensure the team’s work meets the required standards.
Full support and training will be provided to help you handle difficult situations with confidence. If you are eligible, you will also work towards a Tax Professional Level 4 apprenticeship.
The C&P team operate across a 7-day week and you will be employed on a 5 over 7 contract. This means you will be expected to work 5 days out of 7 days covering various working patterns, usually 37 hours per week. This includes weekends, evenings (up to 8pm) and some bank holidays. Entitlement to unsocial hours pay may be allowable if the working hours are considered unsocial by HMRC.
Part-time working opportunities (minimum 22 hours per week covering various patterns during our opening times) can be considered but business need will dictate whether your request can be accommodated.
You don’t need any existing knowledge or experience of tax in order to apply, but you’ll have an interest in tackling tax evasion and helping our customers to get it right first time.
We are looking for the following qualities:
- Confident– the ability to take the lead in providing support and dealing with technical escalations from more junior Compliance Caseworkers.
- Strong communication skills– written and verbal, enabling you to effectively document and communicate the outcome of your investigations.
- Analytically minded- you will enjoy critical thinking, data and information analysis, research, communication and problem solving.
- Attention to detail- the ability to review information, figures and tax calculations thoroughly and accurately to identify compliance risks.
- Resilient- flexible and able to move to new projects and priorities at short notice.
- Focused- able to follow processes and guidance ensuring quality standards are adhered to.
- Eager to learn- capable of developing the required level of tax technical skills to enable you to become a tax professional.