Senior Legal Counsel
Aviva now have an exciting opportunity for a senior lawyer to join our Savings and Retirements (S&R) team within Aviva’s UK legal function. The role will focus on providing commercial, first class legal advice to this strategic growth area which includes Workplace S&R (workplace pensions & savings including Master Trust), Individual S&R (adviser and direct pension and investment platforms), Aviva Financial Advice, and Digital & Innovation (new innovations and ideas).
This person will be joining a committed and collaborative team that provide end-to-end commercially focussed legal support to the business areas described above. We’re proud to be a busy and strategically important team which strives to deliver the best legal service for its clients and has a strong focus on fostering relationships across the business.
As Aviva introduced “smart-working” in 2020, and the person in this role can be based anywhere in the UK, as long as they are comfortable travelling to our York, Bristol, or Norwich offices weekly.
The role’s duties & responsibilities:
- Providing first class commercially focused legal advice across the UK S&R business units described above
- Reviewing, drafting, negotiating contracts and advising on customer facing contractual documentation and product literature across different media including digital and social media
- Providing input into Board and Committee papers where required - concise and tailored summaries for various business partners
- Managing key risks and issues upwards to the Head of Legal, and General Counsel of UK Life
- Building solid relationships with key business partners within S&R and the wider Aviva group, providing strategic input into the S&R business areas, delivering at pace
Skills & experiences required/desired:
- Qualified Solicitor and/or Barrister with strong experience of working in the Financial Services market - particularly in the pensions/savings industry
- Proven negotiating experience and relationship management skills
- Strong commercial and strategic mind-set
- Experience and/or knowledge of Workplace (including Master Trust) and/or Individual Pensions is desirable
- Experience and/or knowledge of financial advice firms, propositions, savings and investment platforms is desirable
What will you get for this role?
- A competitive salary depending on location, skills, experience and qualifications
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 40% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family (some exclusions apply)
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
Working at Aviva
At Aviva, we’re people with a purpose. To be with you today, for a better tomorrow.
We bring this to life by ensuring managing risk is at the heart of the way we all work. We love people who do the right thing for our customers, and our colleagues. We want people who speak up, who take ownership, and who make good decisions.
The way we do this is important too. We always ‘Care More’. It’s our thing. We’re all about our people – that’s you – so we can be pretty flexible. If you want to work from home some of the time or change your hours so you can pick up your kids or care for someone in your family, we’re very open to that. In fact, we don’t advertise roles as either part or full time, because we know each person has different needs, just as each business area has different needs. So, it’s up to you to discuss working hours during your interview.
We care deeply about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We want our employees to bring their whole self to work and that starts with you.
We interview every disabled applicant* that meets the minimum criteria for the job. Once you’ve applied please send us a separate email stating that you have a disclosed disability and we’ll make sure we interview you.
We’d love it if you could submit your application online. If you require an alternative method of applying, please give Daniel Hopchet a call on 07393 808 287 or send an email to Daniel.Hopchet@Aviva.com.
*As defined in The Equality Act 2010. By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean you should provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required and have the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential to perform the role.