Aviva UK are now looking for a SQL Developer with DBA experience to join their Workplace Savings and Retirements Commercial Solutions Team.
The role resides within the Commercial Solutions Team who develop and maintain the business units SQL Server estate (known as SOLUS) through the management of robust data, controls and processes that provides a holistic view of Corporate Pensions and associated activity.
The team manage activity from end-to-end ensuring that they understand their customers’ needs to deliver solutions that provide operational efficiencies, effective controls and operational MI. These activities range from Agile, small scale development providing solutions in a matter of days, to those supporting long-term strategic initiatives.
Within this role you are not just a SQL technical specialist (because we are not IT; we operate in the heart of the business!), but also understand how financial service companies operate and how to work in partnership with your customers.
Key responsibilities within the role include:
- Working alongside other SQL developers as an integral part of a team
- Providing DBA cover for elements of database administration, e.g. maintenance plans, backup management and monitoring
- Designing, managing and administering an array of effective SQL Server based systems
- Developing databases and effective processes relating to them
- Ensuring and validating data accuracy
- Ensuring full audit data is available to provide accuracy and data integrity throughout. This is achieved by ensuring documentation is kept up to date and the meeting of governance requirements
- Providing advice, guidance and recommendation to process users including identification and elicitation of requirements
- Assisting strategic and tactical business change improvements for existing systems, including access controls to ensure systems and data remain secure, and risk management by identifying weakness within business processes
We are looking for someone with the following skills and experience:
- Advanced Microsoft SQL Server experience from version 2008 onwards, covering: TSQL, SSIS, SSRS, Stored Procs.
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) Partial/Full qualification (including module 462 - Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2012/14 Databases) or equivalent.
- Demonstrable experience of backup/recovery, maintenance plans & query optimization.
- Advanced use of Microsoft DevOps for SQL project build and maintenance (including branching and code deployment).
- Advanced knowledge of designing and building relational databases (i.e. data structures and data modelling via Kimball methodology)
- Strong general knowledge of information and data protocols/standards
- Strong analytical, problem solving and requirement elicitation skills
- Robust customer management skills and effective communication thorough appropriate media to both technical and non-technical audiences
Desirable skills and experience:
- Knowledge of C# and VB.net web projects
- Business/computing degree (or equivalent)
- Knowledge of Corporate Pensions or Financial Services
What will you get for this role?
- A salary between £40,000 - £45,000 flexible depending on skills, experience and qualifications
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 40% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family. (Some exclusions apply)
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
Working at Aviva
At Aviva, we’re people with a purpose. To be with you today, for a better tomorrow.
We bring this to life by ensuring managing risk is at the heart of the way we all work. We love people who do the right thing for our customers, and our colleagues. We want people who speak up, who take responsibility, and who make good decisions.
The way we do this is important too. We always ‘Care More’. It’s our thing. We’re all about our people – that’s you – so we can be pretty flexible. If you want to work from home some of the time or change your hours so you can pick up your kids or care for someone in your family, we’re very open to that. In fact, we don’t advertise roles as either part or full time, because we know each person has different needs, just as each business area has different needs. So, it’s up to you to discuss working hours during your interview.
We care deeply about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We want our employees to bring their whole self to work and that starts with you.
We interview every disabled applicant* that meets the minimum criteria for the job. Once you’ve applied, please send us a separate email stating that you have a disclosed disability and we’ll make sure we interview you.
We’d love it if you could submit your application online. If you require an alternative method of applying, please give Guv a call on 0750 008 7919 or send an email to email@example.com.
*As defined in The Equality Act 2010*. By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean you should provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required and have the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential to perform the role.