Within National Grid, Capital Delivery is the business unit responsible for taking major projects through the design, construction, commissioning and handover phases of the asset life cycle. All of our projects have a direct impact on the UK’s Gas and Electricity transmission networks which deliver energy to homes and businesses 365 days a year; that means we can directly see the benefit our projects are having on the communities we serve.
About the role of Quantity Surveyor
You’ll play a meaningful role in keeping construction in National Grid running smoothly and play your part in ensuing that the UK continues to function effectively too. Acting as one of the Quantity Surveyors within your region, you’ll make it your mission to ensure your projects are delivering great value for National Grid and its customers.
As well as ensuring our contractors are compliant, you will support the Project Delivery teams in producing all contract instructions and communications for the portfolio. You will be regularly visiting construction sites to review and monitor the progress of the projects in order to verify costs, identify early warnings and agree compensation events using the risk mitigation methodologies. It will be your responsibility to lead/support cost reviews and risk reduction meetings and ensure results are meeting above and beyond our targets.
About you and your skills
- Ideally you will have experience of engineering projects carried out under the NEC3/ FIDIC form of contract and experience in contract management in a construction environment
- You’ll have the ability to provide contractual guidance to the Project Engineers, ensure our contractors are treated fairly and reasonably whilst ensuring they fulfil their contractual obligations
- You’ll have a consistent record of delivering great value, have the ability to use and develop spreadsheets, conduct cost analysis and programme evaluation
- We’ll expect you to have the proven ability to deliver to time, work within contractual timescales and deliver against challenging but achievable objectives
- You’ll naturally identify best practice and share the learning with the wider team
- RICS Qualified or working towards would be advantageous but not essential
- Previous experience within electricity or gas transmission would be a great bonus
- Travel around the region is expected, for this reason a full UK driving licence is essential
You will have a company car, laptop and mobile phone with the position, 25 days holiday + 8 statutory days, an amazing double and match pension scheme, access to our Flexible Benefits Programme, as well as the opportunity to buy discounted shares, and achieve a yearly bonus and performance related uplifts. We have some part-time/flexible opportunities available.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.