Head of Software Development
Head of Software Development
It's rare to find an organisation where the development team is a high profile function that underpins the success of the business, but that's exactly how important our Systems Development department is to Zen Internet. Development is assessed on the benefits between build vs buy. This leaves our bespoke development concentrating on where we can add the most value, which ranges from our public-facing websites, to online self-service portals and core internal business facing systems.
The team are now delivering high-quality software using robust development processes and tools, delivering regular and frequent business value. We have a mature adoption of Continuous Delivery processes and tooling, but our focus on continuous improvement means we also have individual pockets of innovation to ensure the ongoing progress of our processes and systems
This is why it's an exciting time to join the business as a Head of Software Development, where you'll be responsible for leading multiple software development teams ensuring they continue to proactively contribute ideas and solutions to help the development the business.
In this key role you'll drive a greater alignment between the development teams resulting in the right balance of autonomy and consistency/standardisation.
You'll also provide effective and focussed leadership of change across the development function as we look to embrace new ways of working including transitioning into a DevOps culture, adoption of cloud technologies and diversifying our use of development languages, platforms and operating systems.
As a senior member of the department you will have the opportunity to contribute to the strategic direction of the function including department and system strategies. You will be expected to take on additional responsibility beyond the scope of this role and contribute to the overall success of the function.
- Drive a cutting edge delivery approach, utilising new tooling and technologies where appropriate
- Ensure the development teams are fully integrated and aware of divisional and wider business strategies
- Lead the continual proactive improvement of our software development skills and practices
- Development of team members and the team as a whole
- Increase awareness of Zen through active involvement in communities and groups
- Driving of technical excellence across the teams
- Proactive engagement with other department functions
- Operational management of all business systems including the management of out-of-hours support
- Ensuring alignment of delivery with architecture and wider Systems Strategy
Skills & Experience
- Held previous leadership position in a forward thinking agile-oriented environment
- Experience of systems architecture
- Enthusiastic, driven, self-motivated with a focus on delivering pragmatic solutions in line with real business needs
- Background in architecture and the design and implementation of custom-built software solutions
- Significant experience in software design principles, practices and concepts such as design patterns, UX and enterprise architecture as well as relevant and emerging technologies
- Significant experience in all technical phases of software development projects including systems design, development and testing approaches
- Significant experience in and passion for building and leading medium to large agile development teams, people management, personal development planning and coaching others
- Experience in the design and implementation of effective and modern software development practices and tools
- Expertise in Agile, Scrum and Kanban and experience of other delivery approaches such as Lean, RUP/OUP, DSDM, Waterfall
- Experience in implementation of leading-edge delivery technologies and approaches including Continuous Delivery, DevOps and Cloud technologies
- Experience in R&D and able to maintain awareness of latest innovations in industry and technology
- Exposure to ITIL or similar service delivery frameworks
- Experience in the management of suppliers
- Excellent communicator, listener and facilitator
- Strong business commercial awareness with experience of working across various business areas at both operational and management levels