Senior Data Journalist
Senior Data Journalist - journalism, digital content, publishing, digital publishing, digital journalist, digital editor, editing, editor, content creation
Newport - Salary GBP35,200 - GBP40,249 + excellent benefits
We have an opportunity in the editorial team at a government agency to work as a senior lead on developing and creating editorial content from statistical outputs aimed at the inquiring citizen. The team member would work on developing stories and data visualisations from ONS data to help users understand some of the most pressing issues of the day - from Trade to Migration.
The Senior Data Journalist will be one of two leads with the editorial element of our multi-disciplinary Digital Content team, working collaboratively with business areas to create high quality editorial materials in text, data and visual interactive for ONS outputs.
Main responsibilities are as follows:
Working with designers, web developers and statisticians, to produce compelling stories which connect ONS data with a variety of audiences. Managing at least one HEO post.
- Degree in journalism or a related subject OR relevant publishing qualification AND/OR equivalent practical experience in data-driven journalism
- Practical experience of working in digital publishing, writing content for multiple channels, to challenging deadlines
- Confidence working with (and interpreting) statistics, including an awareness of techniques for adapting the presentation of statistical concepts to different audiences.
- Practical experience of working to an appropriate editorial tone when dealing with sensitive, topical or politically-sensitive material.
- Practical expertise in delivering error-free work, with an eye for detail and experience of proof-reading
- Practical experience of working with a wide range of clients from commissioning through to delivery, using appropriate techniques (eg Agile)
- Practical experience of successful line management, be comfortable in a mentoring/coaching role, and leading by example
- An awareness of the 'digital landscape', including how ONS' digital agenda fits within the broader context of digital government
- Must be able to travel to meet the demands of being part of a cross-site service between Hampshire/South Wales
- Practical experience in using data foraging tools such as Excel, Fusion Tables, R to find stories in the data
- Practical experience in using data tools to ensure the integrity and value in the data being used
- Practical experience in taking the editorial lead in creating products that fuse a variety of components from collegiate sources: data visualisations, graphics, social media, data as editorial
If you feel you have the requisite knowledge and skills, please email your CV in the first instance. Suitable candidates will be contacted accordingly. If you require further information about this opportunity, please contact James by phone or email (see below).