Smallwood Architects are a long-established practice of chartered architects working in the high-end residential sector. We offer a very personal service as specialist architects whose commissions include extraordinary homes and private estates for sometimes high profile clients. The company has two offices, one in Battersea (London) and one in Stamford (Lincolnshire). We are looking to consolidate our current working practices and company documentation to improve quality control. We are seeking an Operations Officer to assist with this, alongside providing administrative support to the company.
- To assist in the implementation of consolidated working practices and documentation to improve quality control.
- To monitor working practices going forward.
- To manage a live Operations Manual, a suite of evolving company documents that ensure consistent information quality across the company. In particular by keeping abreast of changes in legislation and seeking feedback from staff to ensure continuous improvement.
- To provide project-based administrative support to architectural staff as required.
- To undertake other clerical duties and holiday cover as required in support of the office manager.
- Working with the company’s IT Support to arrange the digital formatting of company literature, templates and file naming protocols.
- Regular monitoring of staff use of the company systems and providing feedback to the individuals between the two office locations, including periodic visits to the Stamford office.
- Updating digital company literature and templates accurately.
- Obtaining feedback from staff members and arranging improvements to company literature as required.
- Keeping up-to-date with legislation that affects the work of the architectural practice and staff.
- Occasional accurate copy typing to support project architects, eg minutes, instructions to contractors and suppliers.
- Telephone answering and reception duties.
- Holiday cover to the office manager.
- Assisting the project architects in co-ordinating drawing and information issues on architectural projects.
- Liaison with suppliers, contractors and other consultants on behalf of architectural staff.
- Digital filing and e-mail management.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Secretarial and office practice experience, ideally also qualification
- At least 3 years of experience in a team office environment
- Familiarity with information quality control standards
- Demonstrable high level fluency with MS Office (Word/Excel/Powerpoint)
- Familiarity with project portals and information sharing platforms(eg Dropbox)
- Organised, accurate and attention to detail
- An enthusiasm for consistent working procedures
- Flexibility and a willingness to help
- Personable and well presented
- Keen to take the initiative
- Eager to improve, develop and grow the role
- An enthusiasm for beautiful buildings and good design
- Experience in the property sector
- Shorthand and audio skills
- Good reception skills
- Good communicator, confident dealing with staff members
- Good typing and IT skills
- Experience with Union Square Software
Terms and Conditions (subject to contract)
- Hours of work flexible, but core hours of 4 hours per day, ideally 11.00 am to 3.00 pm 5 days per week, maximum 20 hours per week.
- 1 hour for lunch
- Salary competitive dependant on experience and skills.
- 20 working days holiday per calendar year pro rata to hours worked.
- 1 week’s notice for 6 months, then 1 month notice.
- The job is based at our Battersea Reach office.
- Reports to: Office Manager/ Director