HM Courts & Tribunals Service Director, Finance Governance and Performance
- Full Time
As a senior leader within HMCTS, you will provide inspirational, active and dynamic leadership, communicating objectives, plans and priorities with clarity, conviction and enthusiasm. You will become involved in national initiatives that continue to develop the finance, governance, performance, analysis and change functions with regard to delivering system and performance improvement and improving management information.
You will reform our performance metrics and develop KPIs, which will underpin our measurement of performance across HMCTS as we progress through Reform and beyond. And, where appropriate, you will ensure compliance with CPD and other developmental requirements for all professional groups in your directorate.
The HMCTS Finance, Governance and Performance function consists of five Deputy Director led divisions: Reform Finance; Strategic Finance; Financial Management and Control; Governance and Assurance; and Performance and Analysis.
The function will have a pivotal role in supporting the senior judiciary, Ministers and other senior stakeholders and their teams, with the right strategy to build the necessary organisational capability and to realise the benefits needed.
Finance lead and FRO for Change Portfolio and Reform Finance
- With the Change Director, lead Programme Business Case Development and approvals via HM Treasury, Cabinet Office, Infrastructure Projects Authority.
- Oversee all aspects of Change Finance, including reporting, risk management, benefits realisation strategy, budget management, project finance.
- Devise and deliver the finance, governance and performance operating model for the future state HMCTS in a way that builds organisational synergies and drives public value for money.
Ensure that our finances are managed effectively, with strong controls and widespread embedding of good practice throughout the organisation
- Develop and maintain effective governance and assurance policies and systems (particularly risk management and internal control and assurance systems), including liaison with internal and external audit to support the Board, the Audit Committee and the Accounting Officer.
- Manage in year expenditure, reporting and control to ensure HMCTS delivers priorities within delegated limits.
- Produce our Annual Report and Accounts, and our Trust Statement in line with accounting standards and NAO guidance, and working with Ministry of Justice (MoJ) colleagues on the MoJ Consolidated Accounts.
- Engage widely with operational colleagues to understand operational pressures, achieve accurate forecasts and improve cost and allocation models to provide managers with better quality information to help support business delivery.
- Promote and champion affordability, control and value for money across the organisation.
- Although the post reports to the HMCTS Chief Executive, as a key member of the MoJ finance community, you will regularly attend meetings of the Chief Finance Officer’s executive team and take an active role in the leadership of the finance profession in the Ministry and across Whitehall.
Play a key role in the development of our future thinking, using financial and performance analysis to drive strategy development
- Lead our annual business planning, working closely with all members of the senior management team ensuring appropriate financial and performance controls are used to deliver our strategy, which supports business priorities. This will not be limited to financial planning;
- Lead our Medium Term financial planning, including understanding of our investment requirements, capital and non-capital spend, income and debt strategy and savings profile;
- Ensure that we have the right governance structures to make decisions quickly, effectively and safely (from the HMCTS Board to the Executive team, and governance below executive level);
- Act as a key business partner to the CEO and executive team, ensuring that we all understand the levers we have for future success, and that we are using them appropriately;
- Engage with SMT colleagues and the senior judiciary to reform our HMCTS-wide performance metrics, develop Reform end-state KPIs and the underlying systems and reporting tools to support them.
Represent HMCTS, and negotiate on our behalf as appropriate – developing extremely strong and trusted stakeholder relationships
- Lead HMCTS relationships and negotiations with MoJ and, working closely with MoJ colleagues, with Treasury on matters including (but not limited to) our annual budget (revenue and capital), fees and other income policy matters, debt, investment requirements from modernisation and reform funding, redundancy funding etc.;
- Build a strong relationship with other critical partners, including the HMCTS Board and Audit Committee, National Audit Office and the judiciary.
Be an HMCTS Board level leader within HMCTS in your own right, working as a member of the Senior Management Team within HMCTS