Enterprise M3 is the Local Enterprise Partnership for the 5th largest economy in England. Our area sits on the edge of London and stretches across Surrey and Hampshire down to the coastline of the New Forest. It includes urban areas that support both the London and South East economy; significant growth towns like Basingstoke and Guildford and areas where we believe there is incredible potential to grow such as Staines upon Thames, Aldershot and Andover. The area is strategically located in the UK at the heart of a transport hub connecting UK businesses to the rest of the world. We are home to many famous corporate brands and enjoy market leading positions in many high growth industries. Enterprise M3 drives the prosperity of this vibrant and dynamic area by creating and fostering the conditions for economic growth. As Chair of the Board, your role as leader and ambassador will help position Enterprise M3 as "the" place to do business.
About the role
We are looking for an outstanding Chair to provide leadership and strategic direction to the Board and to be an influential figure in driving forward the economic success of the area. You will one of 38 LEP chairs advising the government of what interventions are needed to support growth and you will be the key figurehead that local senior leaders will seek out in shaping the economic growth of the areas. You will:
- Chair and develop the Board to ensure unity of purpose and commitment to the region's Economic Plan
- Drive forward the area's Strategic Economic Plan working with key influencers to bring them on side in delivering a common vision.
- Engage with businesses across the region to ensure our strategy reflects their needs and expectations
- Promote the interests and ambitions of Enterprise M3 with key influencers in government, business and the community
- Maintain a clear and informed view of the strengths and challenges facing the local and national economy
- Champion the work of Enterprise M3 widely through partners and the media
- Be prepared to think outside the box and galvanise partners to identify new ways of working and pooling resources.
There is no fixed time commitment for the role, although we would expect that regular meetings and other more flexible commitments will account for between 1 and 2 days per week. The work is divided between a representational role both locally and nationally and an internal steering role that keeps Enterprise M3 players "on message". In keeping with the majority of other LEP's, the post is not remunerated although we are willing to consider the payment of some expenses. We are looking for someone able to commit to a three year team with an option to extend for a further term.
We are looking to appoint a visionary business leader with a high profile in and commitment to the Enterprise M3 area. You will have strong interpersonal and communication skills, coupled with the ability to influence and broker, build strong networks, deal with the media and represent Enterprise M3 at a local and national level. We would expect you to be well-connected, with demonstrable links to relevant businesses and organisations and a track record of leadership and growth of successful companies.
How to Apply
To arrange an informal and confidential discussion about the post of Chair, please contact Mark Bearn or Andrew Timlin at Hays Executive. Application is by CV and Covering Letter. Your letter should be no more than 4 pages long and should cover why you are interested in the post and how you meet the requirements of the person specification.
To upload your completed CV and Covering Letter, please visit