Technical Project Accountant
Robert Half Finance & Accounting are working with our client a magic circle law firm for a TECHNICAL PROJECT ACCOUNTANT for a 12month Fixed Term Contract.
To act as an accounting expert and project manager on a significant accounting, tax and treasury project. To define and implement new policies and processes across the Group related to the project. Provide high quality technical accounting input and be able to gather input from others and organise the parties in terms of deliverables.
Group Finance, Partnership Affairs Team and the Treasury Team.
The Firm is to embark on a project considering options to mitigate exchange exposure arising from the global balance sheet and 'update' the approach to partnership accounting across the group. It should be noted that we operate through a varied structure but primarily as an LLP, the balance is that of a partnership. The Firm's subject matter experts from within the senior finance team are involved and require an experienced and qualified accountant to act as coordinating project manager. As well as the usual project management responsibilities the role will include discovery, research and documentation, financial modelling of options, predictive impact analysis and being able to implement the decisions.
Role and responsibilities
- Understand the group structure and project scope. Familiarise oneself with the accounting structure within the firm as well as the accounting system.
- Meet with stakeholders as part of the discovery phase to extract and document the current position and the desired future state. Identify potential issues and areas that require further due diligence or subject matter expert input
- Critical thinking to interpret stakeholders requirements and outputs in relation to the project objectives, consider
practical implications and business/compliance risk
- Consider the project from a local and global perspective from a financial / statutory compliance perspective
- Act as project manager: including; drafting the project scope; create and manage a project plan; organise and chair the project meetings; report on risks and report on the project to finance management etc
- Work through complex issues to find solutions and be able communicate these effectively to other parties
- Document decisions and create guidance to be used globally throughout the implementation and beyond
- Create an implementation plan and manage the overall implementation of the decisions
- Provide accounting support to the global finance community upon implementation
- Ensure that all interested parties are kept informed of project developments and progress
- Hands on role working with senior people within the finance organisation, Auditors and other advisors as required
Whilst this may appear as a project manager role it is equally a technical role and will require the candidate to be an accountant to understand the complexities, dependencies and risks associated with the project.
- Technically excellent with a strong financial accounting background
- Ability to adapt to, and implement change effectively and enthusiastically
- Excellent communicator and confident in interaction with others
- Strong influencing and negotiation skills
- Experience of being able manage a project by providing structure, governance and coordination
- Experience of operating in a global, multi-currency business environment
- Aptitude to find practical and pragmatic solutions whilst ensuring the integrity of finance is upheld
- Work well under pressure and can effectively multi-task to meet targets and tight deadlines
- Flexible approach to working practices, enabling and participating in matrix working structures
- High level of IT system skills with the ability to ensure finance systems meet accounting requirements
- Ability to produce high quality documents and to pass knowledge on to others
- Strong team player who is able to bring people together
- Highly professional approach is a must
- Qualified accountant, member of a recognised accounting body
- Extensive post qualification experience
- Previous business experience in a global, multi-currency organisation required, preferably in a 'head office' or group function
- Experience of managing multi-disciplinary projects within a finance environment
- LLP experience an advantage
Robert Half Ltd acts as an employment business for temporary positions and an employment agency for permanent positions. Robert Half is committed to equal opportunity and diversity. Suitable candidates with equivalent qualifications and more or less experience can apply.