Group Finance Manager
Robert Half are currently recruiting for a progressive Group Finance Manager opportunity with the IOP Group based at their Publishing HQ in central Bristol office (next to Temple Meads train station).
The IOP Group is owned by the Institute of Physics (IOP), a learned society and membership organisation based in London, with expansive commercial trading operations in journals publishing, ebooks, magazines, conference proceedings and websites for the scientific community. IOP has a trading turnover of GBP65m, selling to over 130 countries; over 90% of sales are exports. With offices in the UK, US, China and Japan, and staff in many other locations including Mexico and Sydney, they serve researchers in the physical and related sciences in all parts of the world. IOP operates in competitive markets which are evolving as technology and global business redefines the industry. They seek somebody who can bring drive and enthusiasm for change to help shape the future business.
They're big on collaboration and continuously strive to deliver the best quality work possible through talented teams empowered to drive things forward. As an expanding global organisation, there's a real buzz in the air. Everyone's enthusiastic about what they're doing and where they're going. You will be surrounded by highly talented people and a fantastic office environment.
Managing a team of 5, this is a pivotal role in the business with 18 month progression plan in place to evolve into broader role with more commercial responsibility. Reporting into the Finance Director, this is a progressive role where you will have exposure to all areas of the business with the ability to make an impact and drive business decision making.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Partnering closely with talented colleagues in Finance, the FD, Executives, Non-Executive Groups, and Leadership Team - building strong long-standing relationships and adding real value
- Providing a strategic financial management view of the business, making recommendations at board level, bringing energy, progressive thinking and a key finance skillset/ perspective to strategic challenges
- Leading on long-term financial planning and owning the strategic view of the businesses balance sheet, investments and cash planning and forecasting
- Providing insight and analysis in to cash trends, group profit distribution, and the reserves strategy, including ways business structures can be shaped to take account of changes in the market, business and legislation
- Supporting the FD develop international finance operations, including compliance with local regulatory requirements
- Internal and external financial reporting for the UK and international entities, and consolidation of 13 subsidiaries
- Managing the Audit process and liaising with external auditors (PWC) including the transition from BDO to PWC in 2017/2018
- Managing the business hedging strategy and operating as key business partner to Finance and Managers for FOREX matters; supporting commercial arrangements with advice and guidance
- Providing support on decision making in relation to IOP's property and investment portfolio
- Qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA) - practice background desirable
- Strong leadership skills, with experience of managing teams and coaching staff
- A progressive and high-potential individual with a good level of commercial acumen
- An effective communicator with the ability to influence senior stakeholders
- Prior experience of managing an audit process (either internally or externally)
- Strong technical knowledge and understanding of financial regulations
Salary & Benefits
GBP57,000-GBP63,000 + Bonus, Pension (8% employee, 12% employer), Private Medical, Life Insurance and Flexible Benefits (Childcare vouchers, cycle to work scheme etc.).
IOP Publishing offers a great working culture, for example providing a subsidised on site caf, events and away days for their staff and excellent training & development opportunities.
For further information please call Laura Emms on or email
Please note that all third party applications will be forwarded to Robert Half as part of the exclusivity agreement
Robert Half Ltd acts as an employment business for temporary positions and an employment agency for permanent positions. Robert Half is committed to equal opportunity and diversity. Suitable candidates with equivalent qualifications and more or less experience can apply.