Systems Engineer - Telecoms/Systems development/Java/C++/C#
Systems Engineer - Telecoms/Testing/Java/C++/C#
My client, a Global Satellite company is looking for a Systems Engineer ideally with 2-3 years programming, design and development telecoms experience to join the team of RAN subject matter experts (SMEs) responsible for defining the architecture, design, and development of their radio access networks, with a focus on how to exploit APIs made available within the RAN to develop additional functionality around the core systems.
This role will suit a self-motivated, enthusiastic and disciplined individual looking to utilise & develop his or her technical abilities with huge opportunities in career development in a fast growing, technology based company environment.
The successful candidate will play a systems engineering role in activities including:
- System design and development
- define and execute system integration test plans for the deployment of new features and releases
- lead acceptance testing campaigns
- service introduction, and hand-off to operations.
- Develop in depth system expertise for a range of radio access system technologies
- Create and maintain technical documentation to ensure efficient planning and execution
- Interact with the contractor team, co-ordinate and lead (where appropriate) radio access system development and test campaigns, helping to ensure new nodes have been tested sufficiently before being released to site.
- Develop test tools, simulations as appropriate in support of test campaigns and performance evaluation exercises
- Develop Subject Matter Expert knowledge in the area of APIs to GX (current and future) systems, lead design and test and reviews, including review of detailed functional specifications
- Participate in system integration and test campaigns at SAS sites, validating integration of the radio access system elements and RFS with the network
- Develop requirements for future enhancement of Inmarsat radio access systems in order to deliver new features/services, or optimise utilisation of space segment, and work with vendors to develop, test, and roll out future upgrades in support of these goals
- Work closely with other members of the radio access systems engineering team in programme planning and management.
- Initiate team projects to validate and characterise aspects of system behaviour and performance
- Work closely with other teams within CTO as well as Operations to ensure successful handover of new systems into commercial service
- Management of test infrastructure to support proving of network optimisation or network enhancements, including development of requirements, specification and procurement within agreed budgets
- Developing low level systems engineering knowledge of entire Inmarsat end to end network from a radio resource management perspective and providing knowledge transfer to the rest of the radio access systems/operations team
- Work closely with other members of the RAN engineering team in programme planning and management.
- Working with vendors and internal stakeholders to define and design new services and features to improve performance or meet new service requirements
- Represent the client as a technical expert in meetings
- Regular travel to support acceptance testing and system integration activities both in the UK & worldwide
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- First Degree or equivalent in Electronic Engineering, Telecommunications, Computing Science or related technical discipline
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment, able to balance multiple projects and tasks, complete them successfully, and within timelines
- Good relevant practical experience in satellite communication systems design, testing and verification, data communication and networking.
- Programming ability - (JAVA, C++, C#)
- IP/routing protocols, including QoS
- Good oral and written communication skills in English.
- Willingness and commitment to travel