Teacher in Business (with Co-ordination Duties)- Northampton College
This post is fixed term to cover maternity leave for a period of 1 year or until the current post holder returns whichever is sooner.)
The post holder will undertake assigned responsibilities effectively and efficiently, and within regulatory and legislative requirements; achieve individual and faculty targets within the College's annual planning and staff performance review processes and budgetary constraints and:
a. Actively promote equality and diversity, recognising and actively challenging stereotyping, prejudice and discrimination, ensuring that these principles permeate all teacher practices.
b. Ensure effective quality control and continuous improvement in all aspects of this post, in keeping with the College's existing and developing quality assurance systems.
c. Be committed to professional self-development, through participation in the College continuing professional development programme which includes industry based work shadowing, attending seminars, College staff development days and training events appropriate to the job role.
d. Comply with and promote College Health and Safety policies and procedures and to undertake recommended Health and Safety training as and when necessary.
e. Support cross college events such as Open Evenings and Enrolment sessions when required.
f. Adhere to all College procedures.
g. At all times seek to serve the best interests of the College.
h. To provide cover for teaching and or related activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. To undertake a teaching commitment as defined by the College, on average 855 hours per year during the academic year, either on or off site.
2. To teach using different methods so that all learners progress.
3. To plan learning programmes for groups of students, and to guide them through the learning process (target setting, action planning, review, progression).
4. To deliver learning, plan and undertake assessment on an agreed range of programmes, using an appropriate range of learning methods and activities, including new technologies. In this role to prepare appropriate essential documents including:
a. assessment plans
b. schemes of work
c. lesson plans
d. teaching & learning materials
e. individual learning plans
5. To mark student work in a timely fashion and provide good feedback to drive improvement. Including spelling, grammar, punctuation and to embed English and Maths to all lessons.
6. To act as a personal tutor and deliver tutorials.
7. To promote high attendance to College targets & follow up non-attenders as directed by the Area Head or Curriculum Manager.
8. To maintain accurate records of students' retention, achievement and attendance using e-registers, and provide reports on student progress as required, using electronic ILPs. To mark registers by the close of day.
9. To participate in team meetings and contribute to planning, development and review activities, including course review, self-assessment and other College QI procedures.
10. To undertake data checks as directed by Managers.
11. To provide outstanding learning experience to students, maximising and showcasing of the use of ILT.
12. To act as Course/Subject Leader if required.
13. To promote Equality & Diversity and Safeguarding in teaching and learning.
14. To promote British values and PREVENT.
15. Participate in formal and informal lesson observation and appraisal.
16. Taking responsibility for specific course organisation and curriculum development work.
17. Making a contribution to planning, development and evaluation of courses, course materials, assessments vehicles, either independently or as part of a team.
18. Being the agreed point of contact for a course.
19. Take responsibility for compiling and maintaining a programme management file for a course.
1. Undertake assessment of students within the College, at the students' places of employment and placements as appropriate and necessary.
2. Set and / or invigilate students' examinations as appropriate and necessary.
3. Verify examination / assignment material as appropriate and necessary. Act as an Internal Verifier if required.
4. Co-ordinate with the external moderator and exams department for all programmes
Student Recruitment and Support
1. Undertake student recruitment, including the selection and interview process, and testing.
2. Undertake student enrolment, including pre-course advice and guidance, student enrolment, and induction. To contribute to Open Evenings, parents' evenings and similar events as required.
3. For students requiring Additional Learning Support, to devise/update Individual Learning Plans, including (where appropriate) identifying learning activities to be carried out by a Learning Support Assistant; and to make arrangements with the LSA for continual management of progress and up-dating of the Individual Learning Plans.
4. Using initial assessment and free writing results compile student profiles for each group.
5. To work co-operatively with staff and teams in other areas of the college in order to ensure an effective service to students.
6. To be prepared to act as a Course Team Leader, or undertake other administrative roles within the Department or College.
7. To work as part of the course team, contribute to Course Team reports and team meetings.
8. To respond effectively to queries from students, colleagues and outside organisations.
1. To take part in marketing activities as appropriate.
1. To contribute to curriculum development as appropriate. This includes identification of course requirements, planning, development and evaluation of courses and course material.
1. To undertake necessary organisational / administrative work.
2. To ensure student registers are accurate and that withdrawals are notified promptly as per College Policy for all classes taught / tutored.
College Management Information System
3. To ensure that accurate, complete and up-to-date data is held on the corporate and local databases and other information storage and retrieval systems.
4. To ensure class lists are correct.
Research and Consultancy
1. Where appropriate, undertake individual or collaborative research and consultancy work in consultation with the management of the Faculty.
Provision of External Training for Students
2. Ensure relevant trips or work experience placements are organised for students where these are appropriate to the courses.
The above list is neither exhaustive nor exclusive, and the post holder will be expected to undertake any other duties within his / her capability and experience.