Lead Practitioner: Safety Engineer
The successful candidate will be joining an established team within NHS Digital which is a mixed team of Safety Engineers and clinical specialists, who has responsibility for the testing and assurance of National and local NHS IT systems to ensure they are clinically safe to deploy.
The Safety Engineer role involves close collaboration with Programme delivery teams, I.T technology suppliers and users and assesses the compliance of suppliers and Trusts in meeting the requirements of the two SCCI clinical risk management standards .
We are looking for experienced professionals who are able to assess I.T. solutions for example Patient Administration Systems or National Spine Services that are being developed to identify and mitigate associated clinical risks, such as checking systems correctly identify patients. Working with clinicians, you will make recommendations on the readiness of the NHS to receive these new systems.
This is a varied and rewarding role where you will interact with a number of stakeholders. Some travel may be required.
- Educated to Masters level or equivalent higher education qualification or experience.
- Thorough working knowledge of safety standards, ideally SCCI 0129 and SCCI 0160.
- Proven ability to perform safety assessments, and undertaking safety analyses using a broad selection of appropriate techniques HAZOPS, FMEA or other appropriate safety standards
- Experience of providing input to regular safety meetings, helping to monitor issues and escalating appropriate issues which cannot be resolved with local line management
- Thorough working knowledge of structured testing processes, defect management and documentation
- Proven experience of identifying and analysing hazards and contributing to the identification and evaluation of risk reduction measures ensuring these are adequately documented.
- Proven ability to clearly articulate technical solution architecture and to recognise the risks associated with that solution.
- Experience of defect management processes from analysis and creation to closure and retest
- Experience of participating in formal audits to evaluate suppliers' adherence to agreed safety processes
- Evidence of considering the impact on users when assessing the severity levels of all safety related issues and defects raised during the assurance lifecycle.
About the rewards
In addition to a competitive salary you can look forward to a full range of public sector benefits, including an excellent contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement and various flexible working options. Perhaps the most compelling reasons for joining us, however, are the scale, scope and high profile nature of the projects you'll be working on, and the unprecedented opportunity for personal and professional development.
The NHS Digital recognises that a diverse workforce and an environment in which individual differences and the contributions of staff are recognised and valued are important to the performance and success of the organisation. HSCIC is committed to providing a working environment that promotes dignity and respect to all.
Please note this vacancy may close before the advertised closing date (without further notice) if sufficient suitable applications are received. Therefore please ensure you apply without delay.
Appointment to any position is conditional on the satisfactory completion of core pre-employment checks, which will involve verifying relevant documents and information provided in the application form for authenticity. For external candidates, references will be required to cover a period of 3 years.
For new appointments the starting salary will normally be the minimum point of the pay band for the post. For existing NHS staff, pay on promotion will be set either at the minimum of the new pay band or, if this would result in no pay increase, the first pay point in the band that would deliver an increase in pay.
Contact will normally be maintained via email, therefore applicants are advised to check their email accounts regularly.
Previous applicants need not apply.