Optical Fibre Splicing and Test Technician required by a high-tech start up company located in Southampton.
Using your optical fibre experience, you will be working to support the development of optical test methods and systems and using them to characterise and qualify novel optical fibre based products. In addition you will support the development and transfer into manufacture of optimised processes for those products. These include cleaving by mechanical or Laser based processes, mode field adaption using physical fibre tapering or thermal diffusion methods and fusion splicing using arc discharge, filament or Laser based methods.
The work environment will be characterised by frequent contacts and interactions with design, process and qualification functions together with manufacturing operations.
- Conduct processing trials to optimise fusion splicing for special optical fibre
- Use evolving measurement systems and methods for optical and mechanical characterisation of fibre splices and process optimisation
- Conduct trials to enable the capability, integrity and efficiency of test systems to be measured and improved to the required level
- Perform qualification testing of the optical fibre products to demonstrate fitness for purpose
- Assess documentation supporting measurement and splicing systems and provide critical feedback and improvement suggestions to engineering
- Support the transfer of measurement and process technology from development into manufacturing
- Train development and operations technicians in the use and maintenance of fibre test and splicing systems
- Visibly support the establishment and maintenance of a safe work environment
The successful candidate is like to hold a CertHE/HNC or higher in Optical Science or Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Physics and will have proven commercial experience in fibre splicing and/or processes for fibre component fabrication and integration in a manufacturing environment.
- Practical knowledge of established optical fibre fusion splicing, cleaving and tapering technologies
- Practical knowledge of test equipment and methods used to characterise optical fibre and splice performance and qualify the products
- Capability to record and present data in a logical and organised fashion
- Ability to use computer based systems for test and process monitoring/control
If you are seeking a role of this nature please contact (see below).