Deputy Director, HS2 Phase 1 Sponsor
2 days left
- Contract Type
The post covers the Old Oak Common area and the geographic area of the Phase 1 route north of London focussing in particular on the following:
- The Old Oak Common station will be a new interchange station linking HS2 directly to services on the GWML. The station is a key element in the wider strategy to develop this area.
- Sponsorship of the two Birmingham stations; Interchange, close to Birmingham Airport and West coast Main Line Birmingham International Station and Curzon Street, the Birmingham city centre terminus. Both stations are seen by the local authorities and their partners as key catalysts for the transformation of place through development. The role involves working with HS2 Ltd and local stakeholders to ensure the station designs are developed and delivered to meet the requirements of the Department, and maximise the wider benefits they can deliver.
- Sponsorship of the overall Phase 1 route north of London, including decisions on outputs, scope, programme and cost.
Managing the Department’s assurance and approvals processes for key procurement, commercial or investment decisions required for the successful delivery of Phase 1 of HS2.
- Managing the Secretary of State obligations under the Phase 1 Act and ensuring that HS2 Ltd deliver the obligation and assurances that have been agreed.
- To ensure the station schemes for Old Oak Common Birmingham Curzon Street and Interchange are developed and delivered to the meet the Department’s Sponsor Requirements as set out in the Development Agreement between the Department and HS2 Ltd;
- To ensure that the necessary depot relocation work at Old Oak Common is completed according to the agreed programme;
- To ensure the station designs are affordable and value for money and compatible with the wider Phase 1 and Phase high speed rail programme;
- To challenge key assumptions and costs for the overall Phase 1 route to ensure best value for money as part of a process of continuous improvement;
- To secure Departmental and wider government approvals for key procurement decisions;
- To provide Department oversight in the development of future Phase 1 baselines and the Phase 1 business case;
- Ensure that risks are clearly identified, managed, and escalated;
- Ensuring that decisions and risks are managed in line with DfT’s governance procedures and that Ministers, the Programme Board and Senior Responsible Owner are well advised.
- Please note the successful candidate must be willing to enrol in the Government’s Major Projects Leadership Academy (MPLA) following their appointment, unless they have already done MPLA or can demonstrate comprehensive, equivalent public sector experience. The MPLA is run in partnership with the Saïd Oxford Business School and Deloitte.
For further information about the role and for details of how to apply please click the link.