Deputy Director, Highways England Shareholder Team
As the Deputy Director, you will be responsible for taking the lead in managing the Department’s shareholder relationships with Highways England and London and Continental Railways, setting the strategic direction for these relationships and ensuring they evolve to reflect changing circumstances.
The key responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring that the strategic direction of each company is aligned with the needs of the shareholder, in particular through the development and agreement of corporate and strategic business plans;
- Lead Board-level interaction with both companies, building relationships with the Chair, CEO, CFO, NEDs and senior management to ensure effective communication of shareholder views and that shareholder issues are addressed;
- For Highways England, work closely with the Strategic Roads team to ensure that shareholder and customer priorities are fully aligned and that consistent, complementary and efficient engagement with the company is undertaken;
- Support and monitor the development of a strong and effective Board and Executive Team capable of meeting each company’s present and future objectives;
- Ensure effective corporate governance is operating in each company and that risks are being managed effectively;
- For Highways England, manage the joint shareholder relationship with UK Government Investments to ensure appropriate division of responsibility and a seamless relationship with the company;
- Establish effective working relationships with other teams within the Department and across Whitehall on shareholder issues – including in particular DfT Governance, DfT Human Resources, Cabinet Office and HM Treasury;
- Consider how the relationships need to evolve in the light of experience and any changing circumstances;
- Lead mnisterial engagement on the exercise of Government’s rights as a shareholder, including Board appointments, pay and performance and other shareholder approvals;
- Head the DfT teams responsible for managing the Department’s shareholding in the companies - setting the vision and priorities for the team, managing resources, aligning individual and team objectives, motivating staff and helping all individuals to develop their capability for the future;
- Work with other parts of the Corporate Finance Directorate and the Department to promote the wider development of effective management and best practice across DfT Delivery Body sponsorship and shareholder teams;
- Play a positive and active role in the leadership and development of the Corporate Finance Directorate and the Department as a whole.
For further information about the role and for details of how to apply please click the link.