Postdoctoral Research Associate, BLI15-1 - Oxfordshire
Postdoctoral Research Associate, BLI15-1
Diamond Light Source
Harwell Science & Innovation Campus, Oxfordshire
GBP32,480 - GBP38,211 (Discretionary range to GBP43,943)
Full time, Fixed Term Contract for 3 years
The XPDF (I15-1) Beamline at Diamond Light Source is the first dedicated X-ray Pair-Distribution-Function instrument of its kind in Europe. This new beamline has recently started performing user experiments to study the local structure of materials from a vast range of scientific fields such as catalysis, energy materials, and pharmaceuticals.
We are seeking a PDRA with strong research interests in local structure analysis with the emphasis on in-situ studies at non-ambient conditions, e.g. gas pressure, flowing liquid or increased temperature range. Suitable candidates should be familiar with the applications of synchrotron X-ray powder diffraction and preference will be given to those with hands-on experience of using or developing in-situ sample environments. It is expected that you will establish in-house and external collaborations to increase the range of scientific applications which can be studied on the beamline.
You will support in the development of new sample environments; using and improving existing sample environments; assisting in the operation of the beamline; keeping abreast of new experimental trends; conduct own research related to local structure analysis.
Working with the I15 beamline team in the following areas:
- Development of new sample environments for X-ray PDF data collection;
- Maintaining and improving existing sample environments;
- Assisting in the operation of the beamline;
- Pursuit of a research programme on the study of related to local structure determination, including the analysis and publication of the results;
- Keeping up with latest results and research directions internationally;
- Assist the beamline staff in maintaining and running the beamline peripheral laboratories;
- Occasional support of the research projects of users, who will come from a diverse scientific background. (This will include occasional duties as local contact for users).
For further information and to apply, please click on the 'Apply' button, to visit our website.
Closing date: 15 August 2017.
We are committed to equality of opportunities for all and our employees come from many countries, cultures and backgrounds.