DfT/512/17/DfTc. Head of Compliance
7 days left
- Full Time
We are looking for an enthusiastic and talented individual with strong leadership, change management and numerical skills to head the Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation (RTFO) Unit's compliance team.
About the RTFO
The RTFO is one of the Department for Transport's main policies for reducing greenhouse emissions, and delivers emissions savings equivalent to taking over 1 million vehicles off the road each year. The scheme is worth around GBP450m per annum.
The RTFO Order puts a legal requirement on suppliers of more than 450,000 litres of fossil fuel a year to supply a set percentage of sustainable renewable fuel. The RTFO Unit administers this scheme.
We check that fuel duty has been paid, verification statements provided, and mandatory sustainability criteria complied with, before issuing certificates in relation to the biofuel supplied via our IT system.
The DFT has also recently consulted on changes to the RTFO Order, and the related Motor Fuel Greenhouse Gas reporting regulations. This post therefore provides an exciting opportunity to shape the operational implementation of these proposals.
To find out more about the Government's biofuels policy and the work of the RTFO Unit, please visit our webpages on Gov.uk.
• Lead the compliance team to ensure that fuel suppliers meet their obligations, managing and developing four members of staff
• Lead on fraud identification, prevention, detection and investigation processes, working closely with the Unit's fraud investigator, and leading engagement and knowledge sharing with other regulators in the EU and internationally
• Lead the programme to implement the proposed legislative changes, including supplier engagement and process development
• Shape the future compliance regime post the UK's exit from the European Union, and lead on operational input into the future policy work of the DFT's Low Carbon Fuels Division
• Manage the relationship with contractors providing hosting and maintenance of the existing RTFO Operating System (ROS)
• This role will require the post holder to gain understanding of the legal requirements of the RTFO legislation (and related GHG Regulations) and how we interact with third parties such as HMRC for fuel duty checks
• This role acts as the Information Asset Owner for the RTFO data
Additional skills and experience
• Proven track record of managing teams
• Proven track record of project and / or programme management
• Proven track record of managing change
• Numerical skills - ability to interpret, assess and critique data
This role is based in our Hastings office with some travel to London.
If invited to interview, this may consist of a range of question types. These could include questions about your strengths or how you would respond in any particular situation as well as specific examples of things you have done.
You should use the Civil Service Competency Framework, referring to the relevant competency definitions for the grade advertised. The Indicators listed on the attached document have been identified as most appropriate; please ensure that the evidence in your application meets the requirements of the role.
We'll assess you against these competencies during the selection process:
Making effective decisions Leading and communicating Collaborating and partnering Delivering at pace Changing and improving
Civil Service Competency Framework
Civil Service pension schemes may be available for successful candidates.
Besides the rewarding nature of the job itself, the benefits that come with it are excellent.
The package includes generous leave entitlement, attractive pension options, flexible working and other policies to enable a good work/life balance, including beneficial childcare arrangements.
You'll also benefit from our commitment to nurturing and developing talent.
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass basic security checks .
Candidates will be subject to UK immigration requirements as well as Civil Service nationality rules .
If you're applying for a role requiring security clearance please be aware that foreign or dual nationality is not an automatic bar. However certain posts may have restrictions which could affect those who do not have sole British nationality or who have personal connections with certain countries outside the UK.
Selection process details
After submission of your application you will be invited to complete a numeracy test. Please complete the online test as soon as possible, the closing date for the tests is Midnight on 26/07/2017 .
Guidance for test will be available when you are invited to take the test.
The test is administered online and accessed via the CS Jobs website.
Some applicants may have difficulty using the test, for different reasons.
While the test should work on most operating systems and modern browsers with a good internet connection, we cannot guarantee that every combination will work.
At the beginning, the test will check what browser you are using, and alert you if it is likely to be incompatible.
You CANNOT complete the Test on a mobile phone or tablet.
For Online Test information please refer to attachments below.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK, Commonwealth and European Economic Area (EEA) and certain non EEA nationals. Further information on whether you are able to apply is available here .
Candidates in their probationary period are eligible to apply for vacancies within this department.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles .
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Salary: 46,696 - 53,700. Date posted: 29/06/2017