Head of Intelligence
The Head of Intelligence is responsible for the delivery of effective intelligence products, processes and systems within the League to direct and support our investigative capacity. The Head of Intelligence shall maintain strong links from community to national and international levels and work with other agencies to identify best practice in relation to intelligence processing. The post-holder is also directly responsible for the management and development of the League's Animal Crimewatch confidential reporting service.
The League is Britain's leading charity working to stop animals being persecuted, abused and killed for sport. The League was instrumental in helping bring about the landmark Hunting Act. We manage sanctuaries to protect wildlife, carry out investigations to expose law-breaking and cruelty to animals, and campaign for stronger animal protection laws and penalties. We work to change attitudes and behaviour through education, fact-based videos, scientific reports and public engagement events.
Purpose of the Job:
- To support the League's objectives to expose and end the cruelty inflicted on animals through the development, planning and execution of the intelligence function.
- To develop effective relationships across League departments in order to advise upon and ensure the effective use of intelligence to support investigations, campaigning and fundraising activity.
- To provide specialist knowledge on intelligence and the management of human intelligence sources.
- To ensure that the League's intelligence policies are fit-for-purpose and legally compliant
- To be committed to innovation and the ongoing development of League intelligence systems in order to ensure they are efficient and best-in-class.
- To develop effective working relationships with external organisations including the police, National Wildlife Crime Unit and other NGOs, in order to facilitate information-sharing and identify best practice.
- Management of the League's Animal Crimewatch and team, and to develop it as a key USP for the League.
- To act as the I.T. lead in relation to intelligence and to work with I.T providers to ensure the effective ongoing development of the League's bespoke intelligence database.
- To produce analytical products and reports to support investigations and other intelligence-related performance data as required.
- To direct departmental staff in relation to open source research taskings.
- To ensure the efficient and effective management of departmental staff.
- Undertake performance appraisals for departmental staff and initiate correction actions for identified gaps
- Training of relevant League staff in the League's intelligence processes.
- Maintain and create effective working relationships within the League and its stakeholders, including staff, volunteers, Trustees and external consultants
- Participate in meetings and give necessary support and information