Children & Young People's Practitioner
Haven is a South Yorkshire based charity supporting children and young people affected by domestic abuse. We are rare. The needs of children can be overlooked in Domestic Abuse situations, yet the impact on their lives can be significant, traumatic and long-lasting. Children who witness or are victims of Domestic Abuse have difficulties with attachment and are more likely to truant, do less well in exams, get bullied, go to jail, and become victims or perpetrators of Domestic Abuse themselves. Our mission is stop this cycle of violence and to support children to become the best they can be.
The overarching purpose is to support children and young people affected by domestic abuse. More specifically, the post holder will:
- Deliver services on a group and 1:1 basis,
- Help develop new services responding to children's and young people's needs,
- Work with partners and other stakeholders including giving presentations and providing support to other organisations,
- Provide help and support to team members including volunteers.
Delivery of Support
• Facilitation. This is continually developing but is currently:
1-1 sessions for young people and their mothers to talk about their experiences of abuse
Group work with families to enable them to feel supported by others and provide activities around staying safe
Group work with 11-17 year olds and/or 4 - 11 year olds to improve: their understanding of domestic/sexual violence and, their ability to communicate their feelings and experiences of abuse
Group work with professionals - helping them understand the impact of DA
• Conduct 1:1 assessment meetings with children and young people with further follow up meetings as required
• Advocate for children and young people's views and needs within their families, schools and with other agencies as appropriate
• Refer clients to other agencies as needed.
• Ensure that children and young people are supported through any transitions providing a safe space for the expression of feelings
• To develop and maintain good relationships with referring organisations, schools and other agencies with which the children have contact
• To represent and promote Haven at meetings, conferences and other events
• To identify, initiate and support fundraising opportunities
Quality & Operations
• To collect and input relevant data needed for monitoring purposes
• To keep appropriate records relating to children and young people
• To identify and act on Child Protection issues following the Safeguarding Policy
• To attend case conferences and make appropriate reports
• To take responsibility for personal safety adhering to the lone working policy
• Attend 1:1 and team meetings as required
• Be attentive to training needs
• To be responsible - along with all staff - for the observance and implementation of all policies
• To undertake such other duties as may be reasonably required by Senior Managers or Board of Trustees.
We can promise a great challenge, rewarding work and the support of enthusiastic and talented colleagues and trustees who will be on your side. If you want to make a difference to the lives of vulnerable children and young people and be a key part of an ambitious, innovative organisation with strong roots, we would love to hear from you.