Community Ambassador Project Officer
JOB DESCRIPTION & PERSON SPECIFICATION
Community Ambassador Project Officer, Connect Hackney
RATE OF PAY
GBP24,500 pro rata
Fixed term until 31 st Mar 2018 with possibility of permanent subject to funding
AGE UK EAST LONDON MISSION STATEMENT
Age UK East London (AUKEL) aims to be an organisation that enables older people to:
- Retain maximum possible choice over the direction of their lives.
- Maintain and improve health.
- Prevent social isolation.
- Live in physical environments suited to their changing needs.
- Have as many opportunities as possible for involvement in fulfilling Individual and leisure activities.
Our underpinning values are:
- Making it excellent.
- Making it personal.
- Making it responsive to local needs.
- Making our shared expertise count.
- Making it best value.
Connect Hackney is a GBP5.8 M programme aimed at reducing social isolation among older people aged 50+ and is one of fourteen programme areas in England, all of them mandated to be older people-led, funded by the Big lottery under its Ageing Better programme. Ageing Better aims to disseminate evidence and learning throughout the life of the programme and ensure it is relevant to both practitioners and policy-makers at a local and national level. It is hoped that the evidence will demonstrate how and why work delivered by the fourteen programme areas can be of benefit, be sustainable, and have a strategic, universal impact on the way future interventions are shaped.
Hackney's programme, Connect Hackney, is hosted by Hackney Council for Voluntary Service (HCVS). Age UK East London is one of its strategic partners. Another partner, the lead organisation representing older people, is the City & Hackney Older People's Reference Group (OPRG), facilitated by Age UK and funded by the City & Hackney Clinical Commissioning Group. Together with several other partners we are now about to embark on year 3 of the programme's development and delivery, incorporating into this next phase of work we have 'tested and learned' to date. This post therefore becomes available at an exciting time, with fresh opportunities to innovate and build towards national and local solutions in addressing the social isolation affecting our older people.
In particular the Community Ambassador Project aims to recruit a core group of 15 older people with whom we will co-produce a programme of training and support to enable them to become influential leaders and representatives of older people living in Hackney.
To support the City & Hackney Older People's Reference Group (OPRG) with its involvement in the strategic development of the Connect Hackney project with older people from other groups.
To co-produce with older people a programme of training and support which will enable them to become influential leaders and representatives of older people living in Hackney.
To deliver the training and support for the Community Ambassador project, ensuring this is fully integrated into the specific community framework within which Connect Hackney and the OPRG operate.
To develop a model of exemplary practice in user engagement and involvement for Connect Hackney and the OPRG and to support older people to contribute to the evaluation of the model in partnership with our evaluation partner.
Recruit a group of older people who reflect the diversity of the borough to the Community Ambassador Project.
Work with the group to co-produce a scheme of support and training which will enable them to develop the leadership skills and connections which will enable them to become influential voices, representing older people of Hackney and feeding back to them on developments and key decisions which affect them.
Support the Older People's Involvement Officer in networking across the borough with older peoples groups, especially those currently under-represented in the OPRG membership and in building legacy by creating sustainable community links between City & Hackney OPRG, other older people groups and services in Hackney.
To provide regular reports to the Connect Hackney Programme team and City & Hackney OPRG Advisory Group.
To ensure robust monitoring of all activities and to report on these as required.
To deliver all work in line with Age UK Quality Mark standards where appropriate.
To provide quality and best practise evidence to the evaluation partner.
To develop good relationships, with all agencies and services, to ensure they work together for the benefit of older adults.
To undertake any other duties within the competence of the post holder under the direction of the Older People's Involvement Officer as may be required from time to time for the smooth running of the Programme, The City & Hackney OPRG and AUKEL.
To carry out the duties of the post in accordance with AUKEL's policies and procedures including The Older People's Dignity Code, Equal Opportunities, Health & Safety, Confidentiality, Complaints, Data Protection and Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults.
- The Community Ambassador Project Officer for Connect Hackney will be line managed by the AUKEL Older People's Involvement Officer.
- Close working is required with the Connect Hackney provider network, the HCVS Connect Hackney Programme Team and the Age UK East London Business Support Team.
Community Ambassador Project Officer, Connect Hackney
- Experience of working with older people in community settings.
- Experience of capacity building and supporting people to engage in policy making and/or campaigning.
- Experience of maintaining paper and electronic records and statistical data.
- Experience of providing high quality reporting and meeting deadlines.
Knowledge & Understanding
- Understanding of and commitment to empowering service users.
- Excellent understanding of User Involvement and Co-Production.
- Knowledge of issues affecting older people and their carers.
- Understanding confidentiality policy and practice.
- Understanding and commitment to equal opportunities in practice.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Excellent numeracy.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and experience of using databases.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- This post requires travel throughout Hackney.
- This post is subject to an Enhanced DBS check.