Sutton Trust Alumni Manager
Type: Part Time (2.5 days per week) with a fixed term of 2 years in the first instance
The new post of Alumni Manager at the Sutton Trust is a fantastic opportunity for someone experienced in the area of alumni relationship management to take on and grow a new alumni network for one of the country's leading charities.
The Sutton Trust was founded by Sir Peter Lampl in 1997. We are a foundation which improves social mobility in the UK through evidence-based programmes, research and policy advocacy. From early years' through school, college and university to the workplace, we work to combat educational inequality and prevent the subsequent waste of talent. We are concerned with breaking the link between educational opportunities and family background, so that young people are given the chance to fulfil their potential, regardless of their family background, school or where they live.
2017 marks 20 years of the Trust and we are very proud to have supported 25,000 students over this period. We established our alumni platform in December 2016 and we are looking for an Alumni Manager to help us grow our reach and strengthen our relationships with the people we support.
Over the last 4 years the Trust has successfully diversified its income, moving from one principal funder - the Trust's chairman and founder, Sir Peter Lampl - to 120 donors, including individuals, corporates, trusts and foundations. In this time, it has secured around GBP35million in commitments.
The Alumni Manager, reporting into the Development Director, will join a fast-paced, focused team which is committed to good stewardship and to growing external support over the coming years. The Alumni Manager will also work closely with the Head of Programmes and the Communications team.
The Trust is a small team of around 20 staff and we are looking for a driven, energetic and creative-thinking individual to join the already 4-strong Development team (Director of Development, Development Manager, Development Officer, and Development Intern).
Background to the role
In late 2016, the Sutton Trust launched its Alumni Network following a piece of pro bono consultancy by Bain Consultants. The Network has four key aims:
- To help the Trust measure long term impact (answering the 'where are they now?' question);
- To help build the Trust's long term financial sustainability;
- To offer ways of extending support to new beneficiaries through informal mentoring and support into access to leading careers;
- To create an active group of ambassadors for the Trust.
So far, 1,700 alumni have joined, out of a total 25,000 alumni of the Trust. This total figure will grow rapidly with the Sutton Trust supporting c4,500 students annually. The Alumni Manager will be the first point of contact for our alumni and will be responsible for building strong and positive relationships with the alumni body and our Alumni Network Steer-Co, which consists of three major donors. The role requires a candidate with an enthusiastic personality and the ability to organise a dynamic and busy workload. The Alumni Manager will work closely with the Head of Programmes and the Communications Officer who are both involved in the project.
Alumni Manager Responsibilities:
- Growing the Sutton Trust alumni network and developing a long-term strategy for alumni recruitment/retention and giving
- Managing the ST alumni platform (Graduway)
- Managing a budget for alumni-related work
- Arranging events for alumni to build engagement
- Launching and managing annual giving through alumni with the Development team, and identifying higher (Fellowship) level donors
- Surveying alumni to gather longer-term destination data for ST's impact analysis
- Tracking levels of alumni engagement
- Working with alumni to support major donor events
- Facilitating alumni's ambassadorial role for the Trust
- Helping alumni to support new beneficiaries and developing careers related opportunities further
- Managing the Alumni steering committee
- Degree educated or equivalent
- 2(+) years' experience working on an alumni network
- A track record of growing alumni engagement through volunteering and fundraising
- Experience of managing an online network platform
- Experience of planning and delivering a communications plan to a group of stakeholders
- Experience of working with databases
- Budget management
- A creative approach to problem solving
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including relationship building abilities
- Outstanding written and verbal communication
- Close attention to detail
- Proven ability to prioritise
- A self-starter who is resilient under pressure
- A committed team player with ability to work well in a small team
- Sympathetic to the goals of the Sutton Trust
- Eligible to work in the UK
- Experience of working in an academic environment
- Experience of fundraising through alumni
- Experience of running events
- Experience of working with young people
How to apply:
Please send a CV detailing relevant achievements in recent posts, education and professional qualifications and short covering letter explaining why you think you are right for the post using the email address specified.
Applications should reach us by 5pm on Tuesday 1 st August with interviews likely to commence w/c 7 th August.