Senior Evaluation and Learning Officer
Title: Senior Evaluation and Learning Officer
Contract Type: Permanent
Salary: GBP35,750 (roles bases in London will also receive GBP3,000 London weighting allowance)
The Research & Learning team is a part of Teach First's Research and Strategy department. We ensure that Teach First can make the best of its resources to have a positive impact on the lives of children and young people from disadvantaged backgrounds. Our role is to lead the organisation in gathering, managing and using evidence as effectively and efficiently as possible to inform internal and external improvement. In doing so we work closely with Teach First colleagues to help generate, refine and review evidence; find ways of illuminating Teach First's achievements and highlight areas for improvement.
We are committed to ensuring all our resources are genuinely making as big a difference as possible in people's lives. Your work will help ensure our strategy and programmatic work is based on the best evaluation and research information. An experienced evaluation professional, you will be looking for an opportunity to work for a team that provides time and space to engage in high quality research and evaluation work that has a real impact on the work Teach First delivers.
At this level you will:
- Work with teams across the organisation to proactively identify opportunities for evaluation
- Design and deliver internal evaluations of Teach First activities to understand their effectiveness, and where things can be improved
- Commission and project manage external evaluations of Teach First activities where funding arrangements, or scale, require
- Conduct research into the education landscape and issues that may be holding back the attainment of disadvantaged pupils
- Work closely with others to ensure that the learning from our evaluations and research is effectively captured and shared internally so that lessons are learnt and delivery is improved
- Build profile of our research and findings. This will involve publishing reports on the charity website, and presenting findings to other departments, at internal governance groups and potentially to external audiences at conferences, or being invited to speak to other organisations
- Help train and coach staff across the charity in evaluation techniques and approaches
- Contribute to evidence that supports strategy development and planning activity across Teach First
- Provide research and evaluation expertise and advice on internal governance boards
- Report to the Associate Director, Research and Evaluation
Your responsibilities include:
Manage discrete research and/or evaluation projects as required to support Teach First to identify what needs to be done to give disadvantaged children the best possible education. This will focus on pilots of new initiatives and research into areas of strategic focus for the charity (e.g. geographic based inequality)
Play a lead role on appointment of external evaluators for individual project evaluations, research studies or other pieces of work
Conduct internal evaluations, producing high quality analytical and report outputs to be shared with the charity for information and in support of decision making
- Working with teams to determine the appropriate evaluation approach for their specific projects
- Engage with the wider evaluation and education sector to identify good monitoring and evaluation practice and investigate ways in which this might be used within Teach First
- Work with teams across all levels of Teach First to provide research and evaluation support into their strategy and planning development
- Provide coaching to a designed group of employees involved in delivery of Teach First's programmes to help them understand how they could bring evaluation approaches into their work.
- Contribute to the design and delivery of the evaluation and analysis training course offered to Teach First staff.
You're good at
Knowledge and experience of evaluation techniques and research methods, and experience of how to commission, set up and manage projects with external evaluators
Excellent skills in collecting, managing, analysing and reporting on qualitative and quantitative data and research
Ability to understand a range of research and communicate findings in an understandable and usable manner
- Comfortable taking on new challenges and multiple deadlines. You're also comfortable explaining complex evaluation and research findings to a senior audience.
A background in social research
Experience of evaluation within the education sector
- Project management experience
All our employees are expected to model our values and help others to do so.
Teach First's core benefits include 27 days holiday per annum (3 of which must be taken during the one week holiday shutdown period between Christmas Day and New Year's Day), participation in the pension scheme via Salary Exchange (with an employer contribution of up to 6%), life assurance, income protection and private healthcare. Through our flexible benefits platform access to childcare vouchers, interest free travel season ticket loan, subsidised dental membership, health screening, discounted gym membership, travel insurance, GAYE and the option to buy/sell annual leave.
How to apply
To apply for a vacancy at Teach First you are required to complete an online application form. Please have your CV and covering letter ready to upload. If you are an internal candidate please apply via your HR Self Service menu.
We aim to provide feedback to all applications within 10 working days from the closing date. Please note that the first round interviews will take place on 9th and 10th August 2017.