Head of Delivery
Seeking a strong operational head to lead exciting and challenging initiatives in London's West End. This is a new role, well suited to candidates who are experienced at managing teams and contracts. In addition to operational planning, managing budgets, and working within regulations, relationship building is also key.
Reporting to: Chief Executive
Hours: 37.5 hours a week, some evening and weekend working, occasional overnights, and on-call in the event of emergencies.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Reporting directly to the Chief Executive, the Head of Delivery is a senior member of the company responsible for leading on:
- Exceptional Public Spaces and Team Management
- Operational Planning and Performance
- Partnership Working
Exceptional Public Spaces and Team Management
- Fulfils on the Business Plans supported by our members, specifically well-managed places, expanding the cultural offer at night, better air quality, and robust resilience and infrastructure.
- Plans and implements street-by-street specific area management plans with partners.
- Leads and manages the Place Management Team of internal employees and external service providers.
- Ensures that team members are fully supported with templates, financial reporting, policies, and procedures that are fit for purpose on an ongoing basis.
- Proactively ensures that members are advised on matters which could affect them and assist where necessary with incident situation planning.
- This includes ensuring that protests, demonstrations, events, installations, road works, utility works, and highway issues that disrupt businesses is mitigated to acceptable levels.
- Handles daily issues that arise, with specific attention to ensures a safe, clean, attractive, and accessible area, minimising negative impacts on members and the public, both day and night.
- Regularly review and monitors the Baseline agreement with the Local Authority and seeks resolution for outstanding items.
Operational Planning and Performance
- Leads the company on all operational matters.
- Owns and oversees the Operational Plan initiatives that follow from the commitments made in the Occupier and Property Owner Business Plans.
- Ensures that each initiative has a project lead with a detailed 5-year operational plan. That each plan is resourced with internal or external service providers.
- Ensures that each project lead reports, performs, and communicates with members.
- Ongoing briefing of the Senior Team on items that require attention, monthly performance management reports, quarterly reports for the Board of Directors, and annual overall reporting to members.
- Ensures that initiatives are moving forward on schedule and on budget.
- Leads on monitoring, evaluating, and reporting on performance with the aim of demonstrating successful delivery and return on investment for members.
- Ensures that member communication is core to delivering initiatives and providing value to members.
- Committed to customer service excellence as experienced by business members, the public, and all who have contact with our organisation.
- Drives forward a new way of working and delivering results with partner organisations. Partnership organisations include the area's street associations, large property estates, neighbouring Business Improvement Districts, and the local authority and other agencies.
- Pursues Heart of London as the lead on initiatives and delivery across the larger West End area, as may be agreed.
- Likewise on other initiatives, pursues Heart of London as a participant in initiatives that others can deliver on our behalf. Seeks resource and cost efficiencies to fulfilling on such initiatives.
- Ensures that partnership arrangements are fully documented and that performance management is integrated into the way of working.
- Drives forward a new way of working in planning and implementing initiatives that provide services on a cost-recovery and profit-making basis for reinvesting into additional services.
- Ensures that a high level of service is provided through the levy of members with new opportunities for members to supplement their contributions with additional or bespoke services that provides good value while generating income.
- Ensures that all health and safety, contractual agreements, and legal requirements are fulfilled for the organisation and all initiatives.
- Health and safety includes the Heart of London's own workplace, whether in the office or on-street services; street-dressing programmes including Christmas lighting and flags; and events whether in the public realm or on private property.
- Contractual agreements are in place for all initiatives and fully fulfilled on the part of Heart of London and likewise that our partners meet their obligations.
- Legal requirements are fully fulfilled, whether explicitly stated in contract, through legislation, or through industry-specific requirements specific to initiatives.
- Ensures that such items are fully documented and that templates, policies, and procedures are fit for purpose on an ongoing basis.
- Compliance includes not only ensuring the accountability of our own initiative, but likewise of service providers and partner organisations that delivery initiatives on our behalf.
- Works in close co-operation with Chief Executive, Head of Destination, and Head of Strategy and Development in ensuring the smooth running of the company overall.
- This includes strategic leadership, direction and development of the Company. Contributes to the development of a culture of continuous improvement.
- Identifies new opportunities and drives income grown across the Company's activities.
- Collaborates in developing Business Plans that support member aspirations, renewal of the organisations mandates, and generating support for businesses and property owners in the potential expansions/development of new BIDs in the West End.
- This position will also interact with the Board of Directors through ongoing engagement and presentations at Executive Groups and at Board meetings.
SPECIAL FEATURES OF THE POSITION
This position features new ways of partnership working for Heart of London and commercialisation.
- Significant working experience in operations management or a related field
- Record of successful team leadership and contract management
- Building relationships with external stakeholders and engaging their support through persuasion rather than compulsion
- Managing budgets
- Operational planning
- Understanding and working within regulations, policies, procedures and relevant legislation
Skills and Interests:
- Ability to take authority and responsibility, as well as being professional and cordiale
- Superior management skills (organisational, planning, budget and time management)
- Expert negotiating, presentation and communication skills
- Logical thinking with creative and innovative problem-solving ability
- Focus and thoroughness
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time
- Decisiveness and commercial acumen
- Ability to use initiative and to be self-motivated
- Solid problem solving, decision making and analytical capabilities
- Understanding of budget control
- Ability to evoke creative and innovative thinking from others
- Ability to establish and maintain partnerships and collaborate with external stakeholders
- Ability to identify opportunities for change and the ability to convey the need for change
- Excellent Leadership qualities
- Exceptional IT and administrative skills
- Ability to summarise issues and data into concise reports and to present for Board level review
ABOUT HEART OF LONDON BUSINESS ALLIANCE
Heart of London Business Alliance serves as the voice for 500 businesses and property owners in the Piccadilly & St James's and Leicester Square areas. Our purpose is to support the commercial well being of the businesses and organisations we represent, and ensure our areas remain integral to London's West End offer as a place for people to visit, live, trade and work.
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
Please submit both cover letter and CV to the attention by email via the button below no later than Fri 28th July 2017, 12:00 noon.
Candidates are asked to advise of availability to meet for potential interviews on 3 rd & 4 th August 2017.
We regret that due to expected volume of interest, we will not be able to provide specific feedback to each candidate. Appreciation is extended to all who apply.