PR and Communications Officer
Job Title: PR and Communications Manager
Department: Marketing and Communications
Responsible to: PR and Communications Manager
Direct Reports: n/a
Location: London, Chiswick
DKMS launched in the UK in 2013. Raising awareness and understanding of what the charity delivers is vital to help us reach and support more people with blood cancer. This post plays a key role in recruiting potential blood stem cell donors, informing the public on the need for money donations and encouraging people to volunteer.
DKMS is a global-not-for-profit organisation that started in Germany in 1991 around one family's search for a donor. Dr. Peter Harf founded DKMS in honour of his wife Mechtild, who had sadly lost her battle with blood cancer.
DKMS has grown to become the world's largest stem cell donor centre and today operates in Germany, USA, Poland, Spain and the UK. Nearly 7.5 million potential donors have registered across the five countries and over 63,000 people have made a potentially lifesaving blood stem cell donation. Since starting in the UK four years ago DKMS UK has registered over 300,000 potential donors.
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENT
The Marketing and Communications team ensures that the DKMS brand is enhanced amongst the public in the UK, with the goal of raising awareness and motivating people to register as potential blood stem cell donors.
The team also helps support and promote activities of other departments, such as fundraising and donor recruitment, that has a focus on raising funds for donor registration costs and delivering community volunteering to help raise awareness. In addition the team also focuses on informing registered potential donors about DKMS' news to motivate and engage them over the long-tem to be available and prepared when a stem cell donation is needed.
The team is responsible for the UK's marketing and communications strategy and related activities. At a global level, DKMS operates an international team that specialises in marketing and communications, based in Germany, that co-ordinates activities rolled out across all countries.
To help plan, support and deliver the PR & communications aspects of the UK marketing & communications strategy (and as relevant global and international activity) of agreed plans and activities covering the following key areas:
Public Relations - to support and help develop our existing PR functions including:
- Play an active role in supporting the re-active press office - building relationships with the media, creating media lists, dealing with press enquiries, logging requests and escalating as appropriate to the PR and Communications Manager / Head of Department.
- Drafting and issuing press releases covering all aspects of DKMS' work but particularly in support of our donor recruitment and fundraising activities (including patient appeals, blood stem cell donor drives and fundraising events and initiatives).
- Pro-actively handling follow-up with key journalists/publications.
- Play a key role in supporting DKMS' marketing and communications activities such as World Blood Cancer Day and helping to develop and deliver regional PR activities.
- Develop content to raise awareness and encourage registrations to coincide with notable events such as Blood Cancer Awareness Month and Black History Month.
- Help to build up the supporters database by interviewing patients, donors and fundraisers, and utilise stories for media and marketing purposes.
- Working closely with digital marketing colleagues to provide content for social media and the DKMS website.
- Media monitoring, reporting and logging - producing daily news summary reports, branded coverage reports, monthly coverage reports and reports for the board - using a clipping service.
Public Affairs - to support the relaunch of the public affairs functions, including:
- Engaging with key groups such as the Blood Cancer APPG and the Stem Cell Transplantation APPG.
- Develop relationships with key local (and national) stakeholders including MPs, councillors, charity partners and celebrities.
- Contribute and support the PR and Communications Manager with annual planning for this area.
Corporate Communications - to deliver a range of activities including:
- Help draft and deliver key publications such as our cross-organisation annual report, including close liaison with the Graphic Design and Print Manager.
- Develop, draft and deliver a new quarterly external e-newsletter for registered blood stem cell donors.
- To motivate and engage registered blood stem cell donors over the long-term to be available and prepared when a stem cell donation is needed, by supporting the delivery of our annual retention activity.
- Write regular news articles for DKMS' intranet 'Pulse' to update colleagues from other entities on news in the UK.
- Any other duties as required by the PR and Communication Manager and/or Head of Marketing and Communications, subject to capacity.
- Qualified to a degree level or at least 1-2 years experience of working in a press office, PR, communications or journalism specifically in the charity/health or public affairs sector.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to adapt writing style for a range of audiences.
- Experience or demonstrable interest in digital communications and social media.
- Experience promoting fundraising events and activities.
- Strong organisational skills, creative thinker with a strong passion for DKMS' mission.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with members of the public and colleagues at all levels.
- An understanding and working knowledge of the UK media.
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative and proven ability to work to tight deadlines and under pressure.
- Flexible approach with the ability to adapt to new and changing situations.
- A high level of competence in MS Word, Outlook and Excel and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) experience.
- Ideally experience of working in an international organisation and willingness to travel nationally and internationally.
Conditions of Employment
- 37.5 hour week, Monday to Friday (9am - 5pm). Although flexibility should be shown to working occasional evenings and weekends.
- 25 days' holiday per annum (plus public holidays).
- DKMS pension scheme - automatic enrolment contribution rate: 1% employee, 2% employer or contractual contribution rate: 3% employee, 5% employer.
- Salary - advised to candidates on request to DKMS (UK) HR office.