Based in Manchester City Centre
Salary circa GBP50,000 dependent on experience + Excellent Benefits package
Part of the Peninsula Group, is the leading provider in the UK of Employment Law, HR and Health and Safety advice and consultancy services with over 34,000 SME clients. The Group is constantly expanding through a combination of organic growth and acquisition both in its home markets and internationally. The Group is now the market leader not only in the UK, but also in Ireland, Australia and New Zealand. This growth creates new challenges and opportunities throughout the business and the UK Financial Controller is an important member of the finance leadership team that manages these developments from a finance perspective.
Reporting direct to the Group Head of Finance, the UK Financial Controller manages a department, which is responsible for the payables and nominal ledgers, and has a management accounts team to facilitate the preparation of the monthly reporting pack. The role involves working closely alongside the Group Credit Manager and demands strict adherence to Group reporting timetables whilst balancing these requirements with ad hoc information and reporting requests that arise throughout each month.
The right candidate will have a sound accountancy background but will also need a good commercial head on their shoulders.
- Management of the UK management accounts and ledger teams, 20 people.
- Co-ordination and review of the month-end reporting procedures
- Preparation and review of the monthly management accounts and preparation of monthly reports and variance analyses
- Review of all month-end reconciliations
- Preparation and review of budgets and forecasts on a quarterly and annual basis
- Cashflow forecasting and monitoring
- Preparation/review of VAT and other statutory returns
- Manage the audit of the financial statements at the end of the financial year
- Attend regular meetings with the Group Head of Finance and other management meetings at PBS to provide any financial input required on Peninsula UK
- Understand and report on the profitability of the business on a variety of bases: client, product, service, geographic or other bases as appropriate
- Work closely with the Payroll and Commissions Manager on the monthly payroll
- High-level authorisation of payment runs
- Liaise with the insurance company that underwrites the services (the advice PBS gives is insured) to ensure correct calculation and reporting of insurance premiums and commissions
- Variety of ad hoc tasks, directly supporting the Peninsula senior management
Skills and experience required:
- Must have a recognised accountancy qualification
- Team management experience is crucial
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines
- Able to demonstrate a sound knowledge of financial reporting procedures
- Ability to use the various mainstream finance and reporting tools: Excel etc
- Commercial experience
- Possess strong communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrate strong process-driven methodologies and a good understanding and use of systems to drive efficiencies into the department - essential for the rapid growth and development of this business
If you are an ambitious commercially-minded accountant who wants to be part of a dynamic and forward thinking business, then please apply today.