Widening Participation Project Officer (Partnerships)
Our client, a Higher Education Institution, is looking for a Widening Participation Project Officer to join their team.
Start Date and Times:
• Monday - Friday; 35 Hours FTE
(Would consider 3 day a week appointment for suitably qualified candidate)
Proposed Interview Date:
Please note, this is the day we will be working on the role. Any applications received on, or after this date may not be considered.
Duties and responsibilities
• Coordinate the successful delivery of the maths tutoring project for a local secondary school; recruiting, training and managing our student tutors, monitoring progress and attendance of both pupils and tutor, tracking against budget and producing the project evaluation and annual report.
• Coordinate the successful delivery of the English tutoring and reading projects for a local secondary school. Developing the current framework to maximise attainment. Recruiting, training, and managing student tutors.
• Develop additional outreach activities with the local secondary school to complement and support the above tutoring schemes and to meet the needs of the pupils and school. Plan and deliver a structured programme of insights to university and employability including supporting students with work experience. Produce promotional materials, liaise with schools and colleges to recruit suitable students that meet specified criterion, engage employers, plan academic and skills workshops, and ensure ongoing engagement from pupils throughout the programme.
• Work with the WP Outreach team on Student Ambassador Recruitment Initiatives including promoting, recruiting, training and managing Student Ambassadors.
• Work with the Widening Participation team to develop new initiatives to meet the needs of local schools and our commitment under the Office of Fair Access Agreement.
• Ensure activities are accessible to young people with disabilities, and, if appropriate, develop specific activities for young people with disabilities.
• Maintain full and clear records for all projects, collect monitoring data from all participants, write full evaluation reports at the end of all activities and produce recommendations for future developments/improvements.
• Support the work of the wider team including University Taster Weeks, Visit Days, Volunteering, Professional Mentoring Interviews, Destination of Leavers from Higher Education and general administrative duties.
• The post holder must at all times carry out their responsibilities with due regard to the University's Equal Opportunities Statement.
N.B. Full Job Description available if required
Skills and experience
• Degree or equivalent
• GCSEs grade C English and Maths
• Knowledge of child protection issues and policies
• An understanding of widening participation agenda
• Knowledge of the higher education sector and potential barriers to entering HE
• Understanding the key differences between Higher Education Institutions and schools and academies alike
• Demonstrate the ability to build productive working relationships both internal and external to the university
• Ability to work effectively as part of a team, and maintain strong relationships across different with team members across different sites
• Good administrative and organisational ability. Confident in managing own workload and comfortable working independently
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to manage a number of different tasks simultaneously to a high standard and often to a tight deadline
• Strong influencing, and negotiation skills
• A confident public speaker who can relate to, and engage with, a range of audiences including young people, teachers, advisers, students and senior staff
• A proven interest in widening participation in relation to higher education
• Experience of working within or partnering with a compulsory education institution
• Experience of organising and coordinating educational projects, events and/or activities for young people
• Experience in report and evaluation writing
• An understanding of the needs of a diverse and multicultural student population