Government Project Delivery Profession
London, with limited opportunities in York and Bristol
Grade SEO/Band B
Salary from £35,773 to £41,281 – London roles
Salary from £34,490 – National roles
Permanent and two year Fixed Term Appointments (with potential for extension or permanency)
Something extraordinary is happening at the heart of government. Because right now, our ambitious vision for ‘A Brilliant Civil Service’ is fast becoming a reality. We’re finding new ways to better serve the nation, through effective leadership, shared knowledge, and increasingly agile solutions. And we’re making the Civil Service a truly great place to work.
For you, this promises a rare chance to make a meaningful impact at a critical time, touching millions of lives. As one of our expert project managers, you’ll be part of a growing delivery pool – an innovative, vibrant community of experts, working together to tackle the biggest issues in the UK today.
Depending on location and specialism, you could be based in one of five government departments:
- Join us at the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, and you’ll be helping to deliver anything from a pipeline of new nuclear investments, to a smart energy grid for the future, or a world-class science research infrastructure.
- Alternatively, if you join us at the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, you’ll be working on major digital programmes to enrich lives, promote the UK’s cultural and artistic heritage, and create a unique advantage on the global stage.
- Or, you could join us at the Cabinet Office, leading delivery in critical policy areas to support the Prime Minister and ensure the effective running of government.
- The Department for International Trade will put you at the cutting edge of shaping the UK’s approach to trade – planning, overseeing and coordinating work across the department, as well as playing a key role in a complex and exciting programme that brings together work to ensure a smooth exit from the EU as well as prepare for a new trading relationships after exit.
- Finally, playing a major role in people's day-to-day lives, from the food we eat, and the air we breathe, to the water we drink within the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
As you’d expect, we’re looking for project managers who can play a key role in delivering large, complex projects. Crucially, you’ll prove resilient and pragmatic in the face of uncertainty and changing priorities. And you’ll be adept at managing risks, multiple stakeholders, your team, and the project itself. From project controls to business transformation, you’ll bring all of your expertise into play, ensuring that each project delivers the right outcomes.
To work on some of the most fascinating initiatives in government, you’ll demonstrate that you’ve contributed to the delivery of projects within agreed time, cost and quality constraints. You’ll bring a sound understanding of project management tools and methodologies, with experience of applying them in practice. Crucially, you’ll also be confident when it comes to developing stakeholder relationships and managing project risks.
In return, you’ll enjoy an inclusive and dynamic culture, flexible working and an excellent pension. You’ll experience outstanding opportunities to progress across the Civil Service. And you’ll benefit from the prestige that comes with belonging to a truly valued project delivery team.
Ultimately, we’re working to make life better for everyone – and this is your chance to be part of it.