Senior Analytical Chemist
Senior Analytical Scientist c40-50k
South (Permanent) Ref: ABJ3229
As senior analytical chemist within an expanding analytical team you will provide scientific expertise to design, plan and deliver robust technical solutions to analytical problems applying best technical practice to ensure that analytical studies are delivered and reported in compliance with agreed technical and quality standards. As a senior analytical chemist you will support the technical development of analytical scientists, ensuring they have the skills and scientific capability necessary to deliver the appropriate service.
- Provides analytical science GC/MS, GC/MS/MS, HPLC/MS, HPLC/MS/MS, ICP/MS lead in scoping and technical discussions with project team members, giving appropriate scientific guidance and evaluating technical requirements.
- Provides scientific supervision to scientists and technicians in the conduct of their work, including review of study plans, data and reports.
- Leads peers in the identification, analysis and resolution of scientific problems. Communicates scientific issues and proposals for their resolution to senior scientists, stakeholders and project teams. Escalates unresolved technical issues to next level of scientific management.
- Monitors the scientific integrity of studies and projects, keeping stakeholders and management informed. Identifies and investigates departures from science plan or agreed technical standards, proposing appropriate remedial actions.
- Leads the training and technical/professional development of scientific staff to ensure that they have the necessary knowledge and practical capability to deliver to the required standard and to continue in their development.
- Leads the structured evaluation of technologies to support proposals for strategic capability development, including preparation of business case and co-ordination with other GR&D functions (e.g. Commercial Manager).
- Engages pro-actively with internal and external scientific peers to develop best technical practice, to identify opportunities for collaborative research and to communicate results of research, including peer review publications
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Degree in Chemistry or a related physical science equivalent (BSc/MSc/ PhD).
- Proven people management and project management capabilities.
- Relevant technical experience resulting in thorough knowledge and application of best technical practice, analytical method development and validation using complex instrumental analysis techniques (including GC/MS, GC/MS/MS, HPLC/MS, HPLC/MS/MS, ICP/MS) with associated high level problem solving skills.
- Experience from the food, FMCG environmental, forensic, pharmaceutical or contract analytical services (CRO) industries.
- Strong awareness of internationally recognised standards and accreditation schemes including ISO, GLP, UKAS etc.
- Strong record of communication of research and peer-review publications.
- Active membership of the Royal Society of Chemistry at MRSC level (preferably at CChem level) and
Excellent benefits package including; pension, healthcare, life insurance, 5 weeks holiday, share scheme and strong bonus scheme.
To Apply: Please contact Alison Basson at Hudson Shribman Scientific Recruitment, quoting reference ABJ3229. Please call on , or reply via email, entering the job title and reference code in the subject field to