Junior Ruby on Rails Developer
Who we are
Mumsnet is the UK’s biggest website for parents, and our purpose is to make their lives easier. We’ve got some of the busiest forums in Europe, with users offering each other advice and support 24/7 (as well as more content, bloggers, videos, events and campaigns than you can shake a rattle at). We want to be indispensably useful for parents, and a great place to work.
Why work for us?
We’ve grown steadily and sustainably over the last 17 odd years and we’ve got every intention of carrying on. We’re building a high-performance, collaborative and agile work environment. We believe that mistakes are human, but learning is divine. We put purpose before profits, we’re committed to diversity and equality, and our computers - metaphorically speaking - say 'YES'. We don't only want to hire the best people: we want to retain them. If you need some flexibility, let us know and we’ll do our best. For more about our equality and diversity policy, see here. We are also proud to be a London Living Wage employer.
We host sandwich lunches, staff parties and knowledge sessions; we have a choir, a book club a football and netball team, plus there’s babyfoot; and we have our own yoga studio while remaining tolerant of the Lycra-averse. Working for Mumsnet means never having to pretend you don’t have a family (or other commitments) and we promise never to keep you away from the school sports day.
Where we are
We’re based in sunny Kentish Town, where you’re never more than 500 metres away from a sourdough pizza and an elaborately refurbished pub.
We're on the hunt for a passionate and driven Ruby on Rails Developer to join our intern programme and write top quality code for our websites and mobile apps. You will be part of a very exciting team that is looking to grow and develop the mumsnet product embracing new technology to make sure we remain the no.1 place for parents online.
What you will do:
- Write Ruby on Rails code;
- Plan and estimate development work;
- Work with our product team to provide a technical viewpoint in the product development process;
- Peer review and quality check work to make sure we have beautifully crafted code;.
- Work with our full stack development team to develop your coding abilities and learn new skills.
What you must have:
- A good degree in a computer science or related field;
- 2+ years’ experience Ruby on Rails code gained through employment;
- Solid understanding of object oriented programming and related design patterns;
- Experience developing websites and Rest APIs;
- A drive to deliver high quality, right first time code;
- A passion for technology across the full stack;
- Experience working with : Git / Mac OS / Linux.
It’d be nice if you had
- Familiarity with templating frameworks: Velocity, HAML;
- Experience of SaSS;
- Experience of Bootstrap / React;
- Experience of Java.
If all of this sounds good to you, please apply with the following:
- A covering letter that summarises your suitability for this role and your awareness of Mumsnet;
- your CV;
- and links to your portfolio.
Please note that if your application does not include all of the above, it will not go forward for consideration.
Deadline for applications is: 8 September 2017.
We’ll be calling the best candidates for interview as soon as we spot them so don’t delay in applying!