NIBSC Scientist - Virology
Purpose of the role:
A position has become available for a scientist in the Division of Virology Live Viral Vaccines section. The group undertakes testing of live viral vaccines against childhood infections such as rotavirus, and those for emergency use including smallpox and ebola, and is responsible for associated reference materials. The group has a programme of work to produce WHO International Standards (IS) for evaluation of Japanese Encephalitis (JE) vaccines and JE antisera. We are engaged in research programmes that are aimed at better understanding the vaccines we work with and support improved product testing capability. There may be a requirement to respond rapidly to questions raised about products relevant to these areas.
The post holder will play a role in standardisation projects. This will include collaboration with academic laboratories, medicines control laboratories and industry for the development and evaluation of the IS for JE vaccines and antisera. The post holder will support the viral vaccine control testing including licensed and in-development, emergency-use vaccines for both European and global markets. To ensure the effective undertaking of these activities the post holder will also be involved in the document control and administrative procedures under the Institute quality system.
The post will support the research programme of the group with a focus on existing rotavirus-related projects and nascent flavivirus projects to align with the JE activities.
Alongside these responsibilities the successful candidate will contribute to laboratory management, including stocking and ordering of reagents and consumables, assisting with equipment servicing etc.
The post holder may be requested to assist in other relevant areas of control testing, standardisation and research within the Division of Virology as and when required.
Qualifications, Licenses and professional memberships:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant subject, preferably with an emphasis on biomedical science, molecular biology, infectious diseases and/or vaccines, or equivalent qualifications/relevant work experience.
- An MSc in a relevant subject is desirable.
Skills & Experience:
- Proven practical laboratory experience (or MSc with a practical laboratory component) is essential. Experience of working with viruses, vaccines, cell-based tests or biological medicines.
- Experience of working at ??? Containment Level 2.
- Experience of working within an accredited quality system is desirable, particularly ISO17025, ISO9001, GMP or similar.
- Knowledge of how to use document control and procurement/ordering systems would be an advantage.