Latin America Economist
Job Title: Latin America Economist
Responsible to: Chief Emerging Markets Economist
Location: 5th Floor, 100 Victoria Street, Cardinal Place, SW1E 5JL
Salary: GBP28-32k PA
Closing Date: 9th September 2017
Capital Economics is one of the world's leading independent economic research companies. Our goal is to provide our clients with original, timely and insightful analysis supported by solid economic thinking.
We are looking for a macroeconomist to join our Latin America team. We look for people who are able to present unique and independent views, who possess strong analytical skills, and who have the ability to express themselves in English with clarity and concision. Candidates should have a good undergraduate and postgraduate degree in economics as well as knowledge and understanding of Latin America.
The main responsibility would be to contribute to our research on emerging economies in Latin America. You would:
- Take the lead in forming our view on the outlook for one or more economies in the region. You would also contribute to our broader research on Latin America and the wider emerging world.
- Try to identify where consensus expectations for policy and for key economic and financial indicators are wrong.
- Identify the key short- and medium-term risks that global investors should be aware of.
- Produce frequent pieces of written analysis on these views. At one end of the spectrum, this would include quick responses to events, data releases and policy decisions, which are sent to clients within a few minutes. At the other, you would be writing on themes that are likely to shape the global economy over the next five years.
- Present these views directly to clients, whether in person, on the telephone or conference calls, or at seminars.
- As your expertise grows, you would be encouraged to build your own profile, including through media appearances.
The ideal candidate would have:
- A strong academic background with a good undergraduate and postgraduate degree in economics.
- Knowledge of Latin America, its economies and its history.
- Spanish and/or Portuguese language skills.
- Strong numerical skills and the ability to work with large datasets.
- Above all, strong written English skills. Most of our output is written, so the ability to structure a written argument and express it clearly and concisely is a must. The hiring process includes a writing assessment.
Please send a CV and covering letter via the button below, indicating in the subject line that you are applying for the Latin America economist position. Direct applications only please (no agencies).
For information on further roles available with Capital Economics please visit our careers page on our website.