BEIS Director of Energy Development
You will be part of the Senior Leadership Team of the Department and have wider corporate responsibilities.
Key responsibilities will be to:
- Provide confident, empowering and inspiring leadership to a directorate of around 140 people, split across London and Aberdeen. Provide visible and engaged leadership to the directorate and within the Energy & Security group and the wider department. Support five team leaders to work as a team and manage the directorate resources to best effect.
- As sponsor for the Oil and Gas Authority and policy lead on upstream oil and gas, ensure safe and clean maximum economic recovery of oil and gas from the UK Continental Shelf. Ensure that Government has robust and realistic plans for handling the implications of low oil prices, and mitigating any taxpayer risks. Maintain and develop strong links with the oil and gas industry.
- Develop a clear, agreed and effective roadmap for the safe and sustainable exploration and development of shale gas resources.
- Ensure that major energy infrastructure planning decisions are made on a timely and robust basis and support wider energy policy, and that liabilities from the former nationalised coal industry are managed effectively to minimise financial risk to the Department and taxpayer.
- Manage a budget of around £60m and provide sponsorship of the Oil and Gas Authority and the Coal Authority.