Teacher of Business Studies
Job Description: Teacher of Business Studies
Reports to: Head of Business Studies
Start date: January 2018 (earlier start available)
Salary: Ark MPS (Inner London), GBP26,799 - GBP39,195, depending on experience
To deliver high quality teaching and learning of Business Studies and therefore ensure students achieve excellent academic progress and results.
To design engaging and challenging lessons that inspire our students.
- To plan, resource and deliver lessons and sequences of lessons to the highest standard.
- To provide a nurturing classroom and academy environment that helps students to develop as learners
- To help to maintain/establish discipline across the whole academy
- To contribute to the effective working of the academy.
- To be a self-reflective practitioner and purposefully develop your own areas for improvement
- To keep up to date records of your lesson planning, students' punctuality, attendance, attainment progress, work done and homework set, according to school and department policy.
- To keep up to date with new developments in the curriculum
Teaching and Learning
- Enrich the curriculum with trips and visits to enhance the learning experience of all students
- With direction of the Head of Department and within the context of the academy's curriculum and schemes of learning, plan and prepare effective teaching modules and lessons
- Teach engaging and effective lessons that motivate, inspire and improve pupil attainment
- Use regular assessments to set targets for students, monitor student progress and respond accordingly to the results of such monitoring
- To produce/contribute to oral and written assessments, reports and references relating to individual and groups of pupils
- Maintain regular and productive communication with pupils, parents and carers, to report on progress, sanctions and rewards and all other communications
- Implement and adhere to the academy's behaviour management policy, ensuring the health and well-being of pupils is maintained at all times
- Participate in preparing pupils for external examinations.
- Support the academy's values and ethos by contributing to the development and implementation of policies practices and procedures
- Help create a strong academy community, characterised by consistent, orderly behaviour and caring, respectful relationships
- Help develop a small school/department culture and ethos that is utterly committed to achievement
- To be active in issues of student welfare and support
- Support and work in collaboration with colleagues and other professional in and beyond the school, covering lessons and providing other support as required.
- Undertake , and when required, deliver or be part of the appraisal system and relevant training and professional development
- Undertake other various responsibilities as directed by the Head of Department or Principal.
Person Specification: Teacher of Business Studies
- Qualified to degree level and above
- Qualified to teach and work in the UK.
- Experience of raising attainment in a challenging classroom environment
- Experience of reflecting on and improving teaching practice to increase student achievement
- Evidence of continually improving your teaching and learning
- Up to date knowledge in your subject area
- Understanding of the strategies needed to establish consistently high aspirations and standards of results and behaviour.
- Effective team worker
- High expectations for accountability and consistency
- Vision aligned with ARK's high aspirations, high expectations of self and others
- Genuine passion and a belief in the potential of every student
- Motivation to continually improve standards and achieve excellence
- Effective listening skills that lead to a strong understanding of others
- Commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of all pupils.
Teaching and Learning
- Excellent classroom teacher with the ability to reflect on lessons and continually improve their own practice
- Effective and systematic behaviour management, with clear boundaries, sanctions, praise and rewards
- Thinks strategically about classroom practice and tailoring lessons to students needs
- Understands and interprets complex student data to drive lesson planning and student attainment
- Good communication, planning and organisational skills
- Demonstrates resilience, motivation and commitment to driving up standards of achievement
- Acts as a role model to staff and students
- Commitment to regular and on-going professional development and training to establish outstanding classroom practice.
- Commitment to equality of opportunity and the safeguarding and welfare of all pupils
- Willingness to undertake training
- This post is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
To apply, please visit our website via the button below.
Please submit your application by 11am on Friday 8 th September 2017. If you would like to discuss the role, or have any queries, please contact Human Resources on or visit our website
Ark is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people in our academies. In order to meet this responsibility, we follow a rigorous selection process. This process is outlined here , but can be provided in more detail if requested. All successful candidates will be subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.